Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC21 Stair (and Railing) Tools Floor Plan Display

joelsdg
Enthusiast
Hey All,
I've been playing with the new Stair and Railing tools for a bit, but can't seem to find one solution that was available with the old stair Object. The old Stair Object had a setting for "2D Above Home Story" so that the stair could have different 2D pens depending on which floor you viewed it from.

But with the new Stair Tool, the Treads only seem to have one pen setting available for the Visible Parts, no matter which Story it is being displayed on. At first, I thought by changing the "Grid Component Settings" would allow for this, but it's not the case. The Pen settings under the "Visible Parts Attributes" seem to be universal.

Can anyone shed any light on this feature I'm looking for?

Joel (haven't updated my signature in a while)

P.S. On another note, it would be nice to have this ability available with the Railing Tool as well.
AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon
Is this what you are looking for?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Railings have a option were they will inherit the settings from the stairs.
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 4.24.01 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

joelsdg
Enthusiast
Thanks, Eduardo:

I have checked those settings, and how they relate to 2D display on each floor, but it hasn't quite worked out, unless I'm missing something.

Let me describe what I'm trying to accomplish:
On the Stair's Home Story, I'd like the Visible treads (below the break line) to be pen #5. An then on the Story Above the home story, I'd like the Visible treads (ABOVE the break line) to show in pen #6.

Does that make sense?

Joel
Eduardo Rolon
Makes sense (I used to do the same in AC20 and before), have not tried to do that yet with the new stair tool.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

joelsdg
Enthusiast
Thanks, Eduardo, let me know if you discover the settings, or anything else, that mimics that old functionality.

Joel
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this is how it works and there is only one setting for Visible Parts and another setting for Hidden Parts and those settings are applied on all Stories.

I think it may be possible to script those GDL components to be able to use different 2D representation settings on different Stories for the Visible and Hidden Parts, but it would require quite a bit of GDL scripting.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Joel,

I think that the answer to controlling the floor plan representation for the stairs is to use GO's. For example:

• Element type = Stair
• Home story = 1 below
then
Pen settings = XXX

----
With the recent changes in the last upgrades we need to re-evaluate our previous workflows
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator