BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

AC21 Stairs not showing in Section/Elevation windows

TDabney
Enthusiast
Hello,

I have used the new stair tool in AC21 with moderate success, but for some reason in this new project, stairs created using the stair tool are not rendering properly in either the section or elevation windows. They are there physically, but not visually in that they will throw a shadow, but no lines show their outline or indicate their presence etc... It's as if I have chosen to show them in the section/elevation windows using a white pen (I work w/a white background). The object is there, I can select it as normal, but if not selected, it's not visible...

The floor plans & 3D window seem to be acting as normal.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyone else running into a similar issue?

Thanks,
Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
19 REPLIES 19
TDabney
Enthusiast
Richard wrote:
I wonder if it's related to this issue: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/3d-modeling/floor-plan-display-settings-of-stairs-...
Richard,

Thanks for pointing this out. Although my symptoms are not included in the list of issues in that bulletin, it would seem like they might be related... I am running the latest version 21.5010 USA Full which is the affected version.

Thanks,
Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
TDabney
Enthusiast
OK, after a little more fooling around, I've been able to get my issue pretty much resolved. The first thing I tried was File->New->New&Reset All, and then copy/pasting the building, including the stairs, into the new file. This did fixed the issue, but created a whole host of other issues as I was forced to recreate my template file which is a massive time and soul sucking exercise...

Next I tried simply checking the box "open and repair selected file" when opening the .PLN file and that also seemed to fix the issue. I do get some error messages sometimes now when opening the 3D window. I don't know if it's related or not. I've tried to isolate what could be causing the error message, but I have not figured it out yet and quite honestly, I need to stop messing around with this issue so I can get some work done...

Thanks,
Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
MrC
Advocate
So much for the "new and intuitive" stair and railing tool we were promised.......beginning to think we need a new section in the Forum just to deal with these questions...?!!!
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
TDabney
Enthusiast
Another quick update to say that my issue with the stair tool is actually NOT resolved... I thought it had been, but the stair object is still not consistently displaying in the section window. It's still OK in plan & 3D views, but sometimes is & sometimes isn't rendered in the section window.

I can't take any more time right now in this particular project to troubleshoot further as I've already burned too much time farting around with this. I need to get some drawings out the door & will revisit it in the future. : ) : )

I think this particular plan file was started in AC20 or maybe even AC19 and migrated to AC21 at some point. I do wonder if that has anything to do with the issues I am experiencing as I HAVE used the AC21 stair tool successfully in other project files over the past 9 months or so...
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
As your local support guy, feel free to email me a PLA of the file if you'd like me to troubleshoot it for you Tom. support at bim6x dot com.

Cheers,
Link.
Barry Kelly
I would try adding another section looking in the opposite direction.
And another that doesn't actually cut through the stairs.
Just to see if the stairs show OK.
Maybe even try moving the existing section just a bit.

I have seen in the past when a section cuts through an object in one direction will not display the object whereas looking in the other direction it was fine.
Stairs are just objects so I was wondering if it might be an old issue come back.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lati
Participant
Was having the same problem and found a simple workaround. I went into edit mode on the offending stair and converted the flights to morphs and they became visible in section/elevation window after exiting edit mode . If it is necessary to edit the flight in the future I can simply reset the structure. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just encountered this exact problem too. I found a solution, but it's not a super logical one...

Try toggling the disappearing stair between different renovation statuses, e.g. turn it to "To Be Demolished" and then back to it's original status. I don't know why this worked for me, but it did.

As we say in our office, "It's ALWAYS Renovation Filters." Even when they shouldn't be involved in the problem in any way, Renovation Filters are virtually always responsible for the inexplicable issues.

Fingers crossed that this works for you too!
Earthworm
Booster
RookB is right,

Change the renovation setting and/or filter setting of your stairs.

This can happen when your project is created "pre-new-stair-function"

You can also try to "refine with current window settings" to wash out any "old" AC settings
ArchiCAD 27 | Intel Xeon W-2225 - 4.10GHz | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 | Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
RookB wrote:
I just encountered this exact problem too. I found a solution, but it's not a super logical one...

Try toggling the disappearing stair between different renovation statuses, e.g. turn it to "To Be Demolished" and then back to it's original status. I don't know why this worked for me, but it did.

As we say in our office, "It's ALWAYS Renovation Filters." Even when they shouldn't be involved in the problem in any way, Renovation Filters are virtually always responsible for the inexplicable issues.

Fingers crossed that this works for you too!
This works, it's the renovation filter yet again!
Learn and get certified!