BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC21 - stair's structure and finishing

alemanda
Advocate
Hi,
in my workflow I usually draw the stairs twice. One stair is the structure and the other one is the finishing. I put them into 2 different layers.
during the stair editing if I disable the finishing, the structure actually takes the place of the finishing. Actually I need the raw structure ... I mean I need the structure as if the finishing is there ...
In order to get the proper structure geometry ... is it possible to define the structure of the stair as if the finishing was there but without finishing?
...or the only solution is just a SEO between the finishing and the structure?
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
25 REPLIES 25
are you using version 21 ?
2017-08-23_13-51-06.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

alemanda
Advocate
Yes ... my question was related to archicad 21
I'll give it a try
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Looks like SEO would be the only option. Thread and riser gap will move structure backwards from the finish thickness, but will return once the finish is turned off.
I think this is an oversight of the tool in general: the finish part of the stair should hide when using partial structure display and the structure remain the way it is set considering the finish options. The structure returning to the place of the finish once it is set to off is actually correct... it is just the finish hiding that seems to be missing. There might be a setting somehwere...

One option you have is to assign an AIR BM to the finish part of the stair, but outlines will still show. A finish component that has thickness but no edges would need to be scripted.

Best regards.
alemanda
Advocate
Thanks sincev6
SEO is the only option now
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Hi,

Until GS will fix this in the stair tool, try modelling the stair with a profiled wall.
You can set the finish and core materials and they will show as intended in the Partial Structure Display .

It's not a universal solution and you need separate layers from the actual walls with different intersection group numbers to avoid automatic cleanup.

The reason to use walls in favor of beams is that walls show treads in plan view.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When I was beta testing the Stair Tool I had this wish that the Stair Reference Surface locations was something we could specify, similarly how we can specify where the Reference Line of a Wall or the Reference Plane of a Slab is located.
One option would be where it is now: always at the Top and Front of Treads.
The other option would be: at the Front and Top of the Structure. Or in other words, below and at the back of the Tread/Riser Gap.
With the second option, when we turn off the Finish, the Structure of the Stair does not jump up and forward, which I think is something we many times need.

What do you guys think, should I make a wish about this and link it here?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
sinceV6
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
With the second option, when we turn off the Finish, the Structure of the Stair does not jump up and forward, which I think is something we many times need.
Correct. The thing is that doing it that way will still leave the finish part of the stair as a setting and not a view option; and stairs that do have a finish (as a setting) still need to have a separate load bearing core that goes through structure engineering, needs to be documented separately and should coordinate with other consultants.

Best regards.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
sinceV6 wrote:
Correct. The thing is that doing it that way will still leave the finish part of the stair as a setting and not a view option
Well, yeah, the ability of Stair components to react to changes in Partial Structure Display settings is another topic, which should also be addressed in my opinion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
alemanda wrote:
Thanks sincev6
SEO is the only option now
While SEO solves the 3D representation, it doesn't solve the floor plan display.
In fact I see my structural stair not correct ...
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Learn and get certified!