Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC21 - stair's structure and finishing

alemanda
Advocate
Hi,
in my workflow I usually draw the stairs twice. One stair is the structure and the other one is the finishing. I put them into 2 different layers.
during the stair editing if I disable the finishing, the structure actually takes the place of the finishing. Actually I need the raw structure ... I mean I need the structure as if the finishing is there ...
In order to get the proper structure geometry ... is it possible to define the structure of the stair as if the finishing was there but without finishing?
...or the only solution is just a SEO between the finishing and the structure?
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
25 REPLIES 25
squall_tmo
Booster
Yes... but didn't quite get what you did Embarassed

What I understood is that you solved by using the finish stair twice, the second one used as "structural" and tread and riser parameters modified. Is this correct?

Thanks.
I think that this is a good compromise!
Probably there is not a way to do this by using just one stair...

Another solution could be to use the "Schematic Stair Option" in MVO to have a solid element operation with something like a Mesh or a Shell, because the schematic stair is based on the reference line of the stair, that is the one you look for...
alemanda
Advocate
sinceV6 wrote:
Yes... but didn't quite get what you did

What I understood is that you solved by using the finish stair twice, the second one used as "structural" and tread and riser parameters modified. Is this correct?

Thanks.
SinceV6,
No.
I used the stair without finishing as structural element, another stair with the finishing only as finishing element.
The sttuctural one is moved 30mm forward and 50cm down in order to be correct. Then I "play" with connection at the slab of the upper level where the structural rider is usually 50mm shorter, and with the connection at bottom where the structural riser is usually 50mm higher

This approach is generally easy and smooth for structural stair. Only in certain cases it is a bit complicated and you have to play with more parameters but I've been always capable to get the correct structural stair.
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
here's a picture of what I generally do.
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
sinceV6
Advocate
alemanda wrote:
I used the stair without finishing as structural element, another stair with the finishing only as finishing element.
The structural one is moved 30mm forward and 50cm down in order to be correct.
OMG. Such a simple and elegant solution!

Thanks.

Best regards.
Has this been resolved yet?
It is really annoying!
It is clear that the finishing of the stair is what it says. So when selecting "Core only" in partial structure display it should be hidden!
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL

This is the only correct final conclusion. The program is painfully underdeveloped at this point. All ideas on how to deal with it, even if effective, are absurd. If the cladding of the stairs is called a Finish, it should be subject to all operations related to that term.