Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC22 speed cf previous versions

KeesW
Advocate
Could we get a standard model on which we test and time various operations on different versions of Archicad? it would be interesting to know if our investment in hardware and software is actually providing dividends in increased performance. AC22 now needs 16GB RAM , but does it produce working drawings faster that, say AC10? Or is all the performance related to rendering and/or all the extra things it can do - if we use them?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
For what it's worth I find AC22 noticeably faster compared to AC21. I migrated a 20.000 m3 appartment building project from 21 to 22 recently. Swapped out the libraries from 21 to 22 too.

I feel it is a bit faster than 20 too, but that's more a general feeling from working on smaller single home (1.600 m3) projects in AC20. I feel they are a bit slower with generating views than the AC22 project, which is a much larger building.

I don't really use anything below AC20 at this point. I do have as far back as AC15 installed still, just don't have any projects that old that I am working on. Anything from AC17 up is very easy to open in AC20 with little to no effort and just swapping out the libraries to AC20 libraries.

If you disregard stairs, I would say it is very easy to bring 17 to 22 too.

I am working on a fairly old HP Z420 workstation:
Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70 GHz
16 GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 running two 1920x1080 screens
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
KeesW
Advocate
There used to be an Archicad model project that one could load into ones own computer and then run timing tests on creating 3D views and other objects. I once had the fastest PC running Archicad on the Archicad-talk list and it gave me a good feeling. Quite pointless, of course, but it was nice to know that my considerable investment was rewarded with a PC running faster than the fastest Mac. Since then, computer performances have improved but I wonder if Archicad is running faster and I’d like to compare a project that I had then with the same project running AC22 on my current computer. We are speaking of vicarious enjoyment! I should have grown out of this, I know but..........!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU