Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC23 Beams in Section/Elevation

kittonian
Beginner
I created a custom profile for a framing element and need to make the cover fill transparent with only dashed outlines. No matter what I have tried (graphic overrides, setting up the beam directly, etc) nothing will allow this. In fact, I even tried using a general (not custom profile) beam and it reacts the same way. I cannot get any cover fill settings to work in sections or elevations.

Of course I have made sure cover fills are enabled in the section or elevation, and I’ve also tried enabling transparency. I even tried display orders to send the beam to the back and that also does nothing.

Really can’t figure this one out. What I need to have is all the structural framing elements shown and then these beams to have dashed outlines only so I can label them without them cluttering up the drawing.
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Cover fills are for floor plans only.
Most elements in plan are not a true 3D view, which is why you can control the cover fill and line types.

The section and elevation views are actual 3D views, and in 3D you can only have solid lines (the edge of an element can not be dashed).
There is also no display order in 3D (sections and elevations) - the display order is determined by the elements 3D position.

If you want solid elements to appear dashed with fills then you will have to add 2D annotation (fills and lines) or create a detail or worksheet where you can again annotate or change the line settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kittonian
Beginner
Thank you Barry. Using graphic overrides I can change the lines to be dashed without issue. The problem is that I cannot change the main fill to be transparent so that I can see through the beam to the elements behind it.
OS X 11.2.3
Barry Kelly
kittonian wrote:
Thank you Barry. Using graphic overrides I can change the lines to be dashed without issue. The problem is that I cannot change the main fill to be transparent so that I can see through the beam to the elements behind it.
That is because it is not a fill, it is a surface material.
What you can do then is also override the surface material as well as the line type.
Override with a material that has transparency (like air space) and then also make sure that the transparency option is on in the elevation settings.
Or just use a transparent material for the surface of the beam but it will then always be transparent in all views with transparency.
I just tried this GO with surface override and it works, but of course any other materials used with transparency will also be see through (i.e. glass) due to the transparency setting in the elevation settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kittonian
Beginner
Brilliant. Thank you for clarifying that it is a surface and not a fill. Works perfectly. Really appreciate you!
OS X 11.2.3
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thank you Barry for your brilliant and active participation on the forums!

I just want to thank you on behalf of us in GRAPHISOFT HQ Customer Support Services for your immense contribution and help on the forums.

I wish everyone here all the best!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com