BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC26 - Choose a predefined city

JohnJay
Expert

In AC25 in the Location Settings there's an option to choose a predefined city

Is this option gone in AC26?

ChooseCity.jpg

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon

That was submitted as a bug during the beta but GS decided that removing that button was extremely important and one of the features of 26.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JohnJay
Expert

Wonderful

Do they employ extra people to make those decisions or do they come up with them all by themselves?

On which planet is such a useful little tool not desirable?

Eduardo Rolon

Main argument was that we can depend on Google for all our cities coordinates from now on so we can always type the city name instead of choosing from a list. Obviously the reason for choosing Google is that AC will always have access to Google Maps and we will always have updated coordinates since all major cities keep moving around instead of staying put. 😉

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Too Long
Enthusiast

Yep, another thing theyve broken and called a "feature"

AC26 AUS Full
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

As far as I know, the reason for this decision was the fact that simply specifying a City will not provide accurate enough information about the exact location of the building site. And nowadays, when we need very accurate locations, for exact energy calculations, for example, this was not good enough.

So now, you need to provide the exact coordinates of the site, and not just a City the provided coordinates of which may be miles or even tens of miles away from your site, not providing accurate enough results. 

So, for these reasons, City as an attribute type became irrelevant and was removed from Archicad.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Well, the list of predefined locations can be edited by the user who ultimately decide on the need of accuracy so that reasoning doesn't really add up. As nothing else was done to make it easier to work with higher accuracy this was simply a loss of a function and I think it was caused by developers' work on attributes rather than georeferencing. There is certainly work to be done to improve the workflow around georeferencing/localisation/coordinates but this is not that.

@Laszlo Nagy  wrote:

As far as I know, the reason for this decision was the fact that simply specifying a City will not provide accurate enough information about the exact location of the building site

As long as the sun is in the right place that's pretty much all I need, and specifying a city is more than enough for this purpose

The tool was already there so why remove it?

Such a waste of time having to go and check coordinates...

Not a good decision

Learn and get certified!