Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC26 - Layer Selection Usability Fail

DGSketcher
Legend

The Layer selection dialog in tools is now constrained in width to the extent that similar layer names cannot be visually differentiated. You now have to wait 2 seconds for each name to appear in full in a pop up when you hovver your mouse over what you think is the right layer. If you know exactly what you are looking for you can use search, but other than that, layer selection is now a PITA!

Bear in mind this is a function we use all day long! Ever feel like AC is one step forward two steps back...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
16 REPLIES 16

As someone that has been using 26 for the last 5 months I can confidently say that you are wrong on this. Folders do not work, they create more problems that they solve and were a waste of resources.

At this point doing prefixes on Layers still is the best organizing function.

If you though Folders worked like on Rhino or others you are mistaken.

Rhino Drag and Drop.gif

 This is not what GS implemented

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

In RhinoWIP layer management is more like on windows - I haven’t found the time to express it on the McNeel forum that I don’t like it, I prefer Rhino 7’s way of dealing with layers. AC could’ve just copied it…

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

I meant the width of the drop down dialogue for the layer names. To be honest, I don’t see the need to have to change layer names once they are created unless a mistake was made but that’s surely not a daily occurrence. We had instances where users kept accidentally changing layer names so I am glad for the change. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

In addition to that, we need to focus on the big pwoblem of the yearly Graphisoft release.

After releasing Archicad 26, which generates lots of frustrations, I wonder if we really need a new version every year.

If Graphisoft doesn't have enough resources, it would be kind for the company to take more than one year to develop and release the upcoming Archicad versions. A two or three year-term subscription would be welcome. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

So now it is harder to screw it up and it is harder to fix it once they do…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

...If you spot it is wrong in the compromised list width...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

@Lee Hankins Clicking on the layers to change their names is a smart option. I'd appreciate if Graphisoft could put it back. Apart from this option, I like the newest configuration, especially in "Attributes" as you can see it on the right, where I put the cursor:

Mjules_1-1658034351072.png

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11