Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC9 Questions & Answers?

MSotero
Participant
Many of us have questions about AC9 and some actually know the answers (GS especially).
Why not use this topic to thread your questions about AC9 and hopefully get some answers here too (perhaps from GS directly).

Here are some initial questions I have (probably more to come):
1) Does the new text editor (word processor) handle multi-column text directly or by import from Word? So we might be able to do sheet specs and other extensive documentation?
2) Can the PM grid system be used/adapted to handle flowing text and auto generate the next sheets? If not, it seems the core technology is already in place given that you can import a .pln file and have it generate sheets now.
3) Given the work flow improvements, has there been any attempt at providing a truly integrated working method of handling typical base sheets for mechanical, electrical, structural, etc drawings?
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to follow with a few more questions for those in the know:

1) Will the slab fills work like Slabhatcher with the layering or is the display option their only toggle?
2) Are there any improvements to the profiler or must we still sit in awe remembering the presentation at ACUW?

And just because I'm curious, refereing to another thread -
3) What is the average temperature in Alaska in May?
Djordje
Ace
tprokop wrote:
1) Will the slab fills work like Slabhatcher with the layering or is the display option their only toggle?
No layering, you can control the display, and visibility a storey up, down, or on a storey
tprokop wrote:
2) Are there any improvements to the profiler or must we still sit in awe remembering the presentation at ACUW?
I still prefer ArchiForma
tprokop wrote:
And just because I'm curious, refereing to another thread -
3) What is the average temperature in Alaska in May?
Lower than comfortable ... but then, I go to sites at 47C in the shade (shade?) and with RH over 85% so ... 😉

Don't have to pay for sauna! Hah!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another question:
Can the origins be set on the slab fills?
Dwight
Newcomer
Ever been on a cruise?
You spend most of your time inside. Eating.

May is warm enough in Vancouver to suntan and swim - our waterfront pool opens in mid-May. However, the Inside Passage is not ever "hot." It is windy and the weather can be poor. Not that it stops anyone.

Bring an anorak and a sweater.

It is a good strategy to run an ArchiCAD event on a shoulder season......
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if the 3d navigation has been simplified like Sketch-up's free form orbit tool. I found the previous version far too complex and unnecessarily so.
Dwight
Newcomer
sameoldsameold.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is very dissapointing! Even Autocad has an orbit tool like Sketch-up. Why don't they see this at Graphisoft? It is so perplexing

They should be made to wear a rubber chicken on their foreheads until they update the 3d navigation!
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
tprokop wrote:
Another question:
Can the origins be set on the slab fills?
Yes, they can.
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
MSotero wrote:
1) Does the new text editor (word processor) handle multi-column text directly or by import from Word? So we might be able to do sheet specs and other extensive documentation?
The new text editor does not support multiple columns. However tabulators and indents are available and copying/pasting from MSWord works also fine as a result of it. The attached picture shows a text copied from Word and pasted into one textblock on the floorplan.
MSotero wrote:
2) Can the PM grid system be used/adapted to handle flowing text and auto generate the next sheets?
I do not really see what you exactly mean. Although I can say, that there are no associative links between text blocks and the grid.
There are however associated links between the placed drawings and their drawing numbers (in the titles done by autotexts) meaning if you move a drawing on the grid its drawing number will always indicate the grid cell number in which it belongs to. Changing the drawing location on the grid or the grid numbering will automatically update the drawing number.
Also when importing views from ArchiCAD you have the option of placing the views on 1 sheet and if so and there is a grid assigned to the sheet the drawings will automatically be placed on the grid cells.
MSotero wrote:
3) Given the work flow improvements, has there been any attempt at providing a truly integrated working method of handling typical base sheets for mechanical, electrical, structural, etc drawings?
There has been no improvement made especially in these areas, however with the introduction of cover fills there are some more display options to finetune how the cut fills/cover fills/drafting fills are shown allowing easier methods for example to make sure how different AC elements are shown in different views.
text.JPG
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE