Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AI BIM. Can ArchiCAD be ready for that?

Podolsky
Ace
Hi there!

I have decided to start a separate thread about Artificial Intelligence in AEC. I hope here we will able to collect as much information as what happens today in the AI world, show examples of using AI in BIM programs and programs driven by AI, and discuss what architects and other AEC professionals would like to expect from it.

I have a very strong opinion, that these technologies will come to us very, very soon (because AI already exists in many things we are using every day - like search engines or digital photo applications) and this might be a very interesting subject to review.

Please find below a scheme I have prepared, showing how AI for BIM might look like.

Building elements (as we know tools in ArchiCAD) are controlled by placement algorithms, that coming from building classification databases). For example - placing partition walls in the office with the right chosen sound insulation, fire ratings, correct corridors lengths, fire escapes, etc.

I/O engine responsible for Input / Output - but in architectural terms - automatic drawings generation and publishing, remote communication, including communication via e-mails, teamwork, IFC exchange. It is something like a secretary-robot, that supervising the BIM project.

Language analyzer transforming languages into commands, understandable by the system (software). It can understand human language and communicate with him as a chatbot, it’s also can understand different languages - like Python, JavaScript, AutoLisp, etc. Even read IFC (because IFC is a script).

Physical simulations help to improve correct element placement. Simulations shall be 100% on physics (more like physical engines in 3D animation software). Includes loads, earthquakes, heat distribution and loss, fire spread, wind load, radiosity, and photon tracing, similar to Monte Carlo.

Additional block called construction simulations helps to represent the construction process, including delivery, animation of cranes and installation process, construction timeline, and similar.

Each building element has two additional layers - assembly (if it’s a wall, then it might be studs, cover, insulation, and brackets) and behavior. Behaviour is connected to both physical and construction simulations.
68 REPLIES 68
Podolsky
Ace
I think the most people do not understand how AI is working and what it really can do.
Yes, it can make a model from PointCloud. Already now BricsCad is detecting surfaces and can automatically produce floor plan from PointCloud. There is also Lidar scanning technology is coming.

It's necessary to dig a little bit deeper about modern technologies possibilities and start thinking about reorganising businesses, to be able quickly adopt new technologies.

There is very good article about it in ArchiDaily.
Podolsky
Ace
The ProArchitect guy name is Milos. He lives in Germany. Lets call him by his name, as soon as he will be in this discussion. Yes, Milos is using Rhino. He is writing applications on C in Rhino. He also uses CATIA.

ArchiCAD was following user interface principles of Apple Lisa. That time interface was something absolutely revolutionary brand new, appeared mouse and it was amazing - interaction of human and computers. But there were another programs, that came from different background than fancy Apple - like AutoCAD - and the only way to communicate with it was to enter information into command line.
If before command line and in general terminal style information entering did look like something outdated, with AI algorithms developing this is exactly what needed - because external AI engines can communicate with program via terminal, sending various commands.
Podolsky
Ace
Very fair points from an interview with Frank Stasiowski:

MCP: And certainly on the building side, we’ll need that in the next 10 years. If you get the carbon footprint of the built environment way down, you’ve got the problem at least half solved.

FS: I agree. And I think we’re going to see it. We’re already seeing it in the use of new technology for housing, in the use of new technology for air handling. And now let’s marry that to the use of technology through renewable energy sources, things that must happen in the next decade. We’ll see an explosion of new companies that marry AI to all the things that we’re talking about to save the planet. Architects are positioned to either embrace this and take advantage of it, by changing the way we do business and being the leaders of value design, or by resisting it and becoming the servants of those who lead it.

MCP: I think this is too big to resist. They will be shunted aside.

FS: Well, unfortunately, the history of our profession over the last 30 years has been to avoid liability by not taking on new ventures. By saying, “It’s not what an architect does.” In things like design-build, architects have been behind the curve, not ahead of it.

MCP: And that was a huge, missed opportunity. I don’t know why more architects don’t do it.

FS: It’s risk avoidance. If I had to pick a profession that avoids risk the most, it would probably be architects. When you look at business people—who see the risk vs. value balance, create value, and set pricing accordingly—they do very well. I think the developers who have done design/build and embraced good design have really prospered in ways that have hurt the architecture profession. Architects should have led that movement, instead of being undercut by it.

https://www.archdaily.com/961547/an-optimists-take-on-ai-and-the-future-of-architecture
Podolsky
Ace
Very interesting solution:

https://www.spacemakerai.com
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Podolsky wrote:
Very interesting solution:

https://www.spacemakerai.com

This company was recently acquired by Autodesk.

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/01/autodesk-users-can-opt-for-an-ai-assistant-through-new-spacemaker-...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Podolsky
Ace
If it wouldn't be known and expected - I would say "this is absolutely amazing and fantastic program!". I remember I did same exercises with boxes - and it took me at least two weeks to prepare several options. But I didn't look too deeply into sunlight distribution and never though about wind and rain distribution. Spacemaker is doing all that in minutes and gives dozens of options to choose from.

I'm sure - more and amore AI AEC driven solutions will appear on the market in next couple of years. And, by the way, knowing that, I decided to open this thread on forum - to publish here all AI related news.

Probably Nemetschek and Graphisoft must organise AI lab (if they haven't yet), otherwise Autodesk will start totally dominate on AI BIM market.
jl_lt
Ace
i read somewhere that graphisoft actually supports these guys:

www.digitalbluefoam.com

so yes, these volumetric generative designs with direct input from the user becoming mainstream is just around the corner
jl_lt
Ace
Podolsky wrote:
If it wouldn't be known and expected - I would say "this is absolutely amazing and fantastic program!". I remember I did same exercises with boxes - and it took me at least two weeks to prepare several options.
same here. probably most of us did at some point in our carrers. good old times
rob2218
Enthusiast
Podolsky,
all the "errors" you mentioned in your opening statement can all be traced probably to one thing............the client (owner) wanting documentation done YESTERDAY...and not having the patience to really understand "what the F" he (the owner either wants or is getting)...PERIOD.

Errors like the ones you mentioned I garanteed you are NOT due to the lack of knowledge of how to use the software nor due to the lack of knowledge of how to design, build something in reality.....rather...the RUSH that is always at the neck of all designers.........BIM or otherwise.

Clients, Developer, owners, Construction Managers all seem to believe that the new era of BIM has some sort of "MAGIC BUTTON" key stroke on the keyboard......................so that's my opinion
and with that and 75 cents...you could buy a pack of gum.

I've been involved in this ugly business since 1975, gone thru 2d autocad (and mastered it when it was Autocad) and now have embraced Archicad (BIM) both Archicad and Revit flavors....I can tell you, this "rush attitude" we have allowed ourselves to be subjected to is for the birds.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Podolsky
Ace
No. I'm 1000% sure - errors I mentioned not because everything needs to be done yesterday. Because workers I've been observing just damn stupid. I cannot find another word for that.
And the worst - after picking up such an error - people are lying in your eyes, that everything fine. Well, maybe because of London... People lost their mind here. Seriously - what I have seen in past 6 years - shocking.
So first they are producing a lot of really-really bad construction documentation, after there is coming conflict with clients, then coming lawyers and solving conflict, and after another team receiving this terrible corrupted documentation and fixing errors. Most of big buildings (all this glass skyscrapers in the city) are built this way in London. Through the scandals with architectural firms.

Definitely computer program can do much better, than most of architects do projects today. C'mon - there are examples appearing already of AI driven architectural programs. In next few years we will see more and more - just necessary to look into right direction.