BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AIA Advocates for Open Standards in Interoperability

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is good news, they believe in Open Collaboration just like GS:

http://www.dexigner.com/architecture/news-g20875.html
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice.

Thanks
Laszlo
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Thank you Laszlo...I was thinking of posting this myself and I'm glad to see you picked it up.

It's also here;

http://archrecord.construction.com/community/blogs/ARBlog.asp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogV...

There is a link to the AIA position paper in PDF form.

It's a big deal when the AIA weighs in like this on such a matter. The 16 Billion in losses really caught my attention.

While this is not law, it provides us with a measure for dealing with our day-to-day work with projects, consultants, resources, suppliers and our resellers going forward. As a profession, we are not alone and the AIA has done a good job of enlightening all of us to the degree of wasted time we are all experiencing.

Reading between the lines, it appears that; Even if you have the biggest market share in the BIM world, interoperability is a must, not a luxury. Creating standards that ultimately become monopolies does not necessarily lead to better design or architecture.

It's human nature to do work-arounds. The AIA has measured the waste and I could do alot with that kind of money.

Mark
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks Lazlo !

It would mean in that case that Graphisoft is leading the way then...(again i would say). This is a great news for Graphisoft (and us as well)...

Would that mean IFC will be developped more intensely than it was before.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Rod Jurich
Contributor
TMA_80 wrote:
/.......Would that mean IFC will be developped more intensely than it was before.
Yes, 14 does a lot to address this issue. 14 is shipping therefore you can check soon yourself.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Rod Jurich
Contributor
And also a view of the new IFC Translation Setup
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi Rod !

What I meant was "developed 'also' from other software compagnies as GS has, as you mentionned focused ( some, would say ...only) on this area for AC14...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
“The proprietary and conflicting nature of various software packages results in enormous waste and ineffectiveness, with approximately $16 billion in annual losses for the design and construction industries,” said Kevin Connolly, AIA, board member and champion of AIA’s interoperability efforts. “This is due to a lack of accurate and effective information exchange, and the AIA is taking a leadership role in seeking a solution to this costly problem.”
Really? Tell me about it.
Come on... We all know this. What we need is ACTION.
What is AIA doing to achieve this?... Are they lobbying on the congress?
AIA members deserve more than public statements.
Sorry for the rant.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
“The proprietary and conflicting nature of various software packages results in enormous waste and ineffectiveness, with approximately $16 billion in annual losses for the design and construction industries,” said Kevin Connolly, AIA, board member and champion of AIA’s interoperability efforts. “This is due to a lack of accurate and effective information exchange, and the AIA is taking a leadership role in seeking a solution to this costly problem.”
Really? Tell me about it.
Come on... We all know this. What we need is ACTION.
What is AIA doing to achieve this?... Are they lobbying on the congress?
AIA members deserve more than public statements.
Sorry for the rant.
I'm glad to see the AIA acknowledging the issue though their track record for driving industry trends is less than astounding. In any case the reality is that there are many of us in the trenches just making it work and getting the job done and this is where the interoperability rubber hits the road. It doesn't hurt to get cheered on though. 😉
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have just found the file that contains the full AIA Interoperability Position Statement:

http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/aia/documents/pdf/aiab082297.pdf
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!