Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 20 Announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
See the official announcement here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/archicad-20-a-fresh-look-at-bim.html

There are already a few clips that show what is new:

http://archicad.com/en/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
165 REPLIES 165
Geof Gainer
Booster
The disappointed ones are no doubt the micro-firms and sole-proprietors like me, who don't have much use for, say, mass data sharing of curtain wall panel serial numbers. Occasionally there's a release that seems to benefit primarily the larger offices. AC 14 was like that. I was kinda hoping 20 would be another blockbuster like 10.

But as Laszlo suggests, there are good features to come. Plus, each release seems to address a bunch of little headaches not heralded in the release notes. Maybe we'll get cover fills on beams this time. Or decimal tabs in text.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
I wan't going to comment on this at this time, but I'm simultaneously amazed while also not that surprised to find that other people feel as I do about this version upgrade.

But while I won't go as far as to say it's disappointing outright ( if only because we haven't really seen the full version yet), I will say that based on all the demo videos they've shown of it so far (Which typically tend to advertise the "best" new features), it is an excruciatingly underwhelming version.
(or maybe I'm just parsing words and that's just a distinction without a difference).

Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do - then it really behooves you to ensure you're really producing something that will address some of those concerns at least,...enough to justify it for them to continue spending their hard-earned money on it.

As it stands I could easily see quite a few firms deciding it's in their best interest to skip upgrading this version, based on what we've seen so far, at least.
DGSketcher
Legend
As a sole-proprietor I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade, I think the new favourites and Graphic Overrides are very positive steps. There has I think been some careful thought in the GUI makeover and as usual I bet there will be more enhancements to improve the workflow that don't make the press release. It's possibly a bit premature to write off the upgrade unless you've been a beta tester?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a sole proprietor I think this is about the most under-whelming Archicad upgrade I can remember. I hope the reality will prove otherwise, but the previews and videos do not promise much to me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
Zoltan Fuchs
Booster
Laszlo:

Can we have a screenshoot/detailed information from available criterias of Graphic Override dialog or it is under NDA?

eg. can we create rule for layers or/and 2d elements? Can we use the new Element Propetries parameters for Graphic Override?
i7-4770K / 16GB / GTX560 2GB / 512GB SSD / Win10 64bit
AC21 (HUN-64 bit) / Bimx Pro / Revit 2017
shtarkel
Participant
It is a bit strange to get used to the new GUI, but I like it and the most important think is that it is scalable now and for us with the 30 inch monitors is a bless!
The new features are not breathtaking but I think stability is much more important!
Maybe I expected more from a 20 version of ARCHICAD and especially workflow optimization and performance benefits so my 6-core CPU be used efficiently!
Don wrote:
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
Something to do with a lot of users asking for improvements in certain (critical) tools for OVER TEN YEARS and no hint or even suggestion that these are priorities for them (inasfar as we've heard from people that have actually spoken to the developers themselves at the annual ArchiCAD summer schools) as things that need improvement at all, or which may be improved in any upcoming versions in the immediate future.

Either that or the fact that each new version brings "improvements" in areas and aspects that not that many people seemed to have been clamoring for (per the wishlist section, and also in terms of their relative importance to our day-to-day bread-and-butter tasks and duties in design).

Take your pick.

And why are you shouting at me for having an opinion (which you acknowledge I have a right to)?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did GS add a diametral dimension tool?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Vahur wrote:
Did GS add a diametral dimension tool?
No, there is no such new feature.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27