Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 20 Announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
See the official announcement here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/archicad-20-a-fresh-look-at-bim.html

There are already a few clips that show what is new:

http://archicad.com/en/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
165 REPLIES 165
Anonymous
Not applicable
loving the new GUI !
do we know what the icon looks like in MacOS?
congrats to the team.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
namtui wrote:
loving the new GUI !
do we know what the icon looks like in MacOS?
congrats to the team.
Those overview clips were recorded on the Mac so that is how the icons look like in MacOS.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rogerdodge wrote:

I have also been hoping for everyday functional features such as a world class keynoting tool, how can one of the worlds leading bim programs not have keynotes?
There is nothing that has been announced so far that I can see will be of any benefit to my business or workflow

We would prefer that all the data and notations are in the building material, the surface, the composite, and the complex profile, along with the improved data in ArchiCAD 20. We have been using what we have at the moment with the new labeling tool and we have been able to have over half of all notations directly associated to the object and its makeup. Then if the model changes all the labels change at all locations. We have the CADimage keynotes and this is not a database as it is not relational at all. Graphisoft's goal should be to have 85% of labels and notes generated from and populated from the objects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
Don wrote:
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
Something to do with a lot of users asking for improvements in certain (critical) tools for OVER TEN YEARS and no hint or even suggestion that these are priorities for them (inasfar as we've heard from people that have actually spoken to the developers themselves at the annual ArchiCAD summer schools) as things that need improvement at all, or which may be improved in any upcoming versions in the immediate future.

Either that or the fact that each new version brings "improvements" in areas and aspects that not that many people seemed to have been clamoring for (per the wishlist section, and also in terms of their relative importance to our day-to-day bread-and-butter tasks and duties in design).

Take your pick.

And why are you shouting at me for having an opinion (which you acknowledge I have a right to)?
Well, I made the text larger simply for visibility and it turned out a bit larger than I thought. I THOUGHT SHOUTING WAS ALL CAPS? MY APOLOGIES.

As a user since 4.5, I am aware of your's and other's concerns. And while I don't always agree with what Graphisoft does, over all these years and versions, I have never felt that they treated their customers with the sort of deliberate indifference that you attribute to them. In my estimation, if Graphisoft more often than not did what the users clamored for, it would not be nearly as good as it is today.

If I truly felt that Graphisoft were deliberately ignoring their users or worse yet, did not have a greater vision for their software than their everyday users-well I would go find someone who I felt filled my particular needs.
Don wrote:

Well, I made the text larger simply for visibility and it turned out a bit larger than I thought. I THOUGHT SHOUTING WAS ALL CAPS? MY APOLOGIES.

As a user since 4.5, I am aware of your's and other's concerns. And while I don't always agree with what Graphisoft does, over all these years and versions, I have never felt that they treated their customers with the sort of deliberate indifference that you attribute to them. In my estimation, if Graphisoft more often than not did what the users clamored for, it would not be nearly as good as it is today.

If I truly felt that Graphisoft were deliberately ignoring their users or worse yet, did not have a greater vision for their software than their everyday users-well I would go find someone who I felt filled my particular needs.
Well, like you said:

Opinions.

You're entitled to yours as am I mine.

And that's mine, and the beauty of it is we don't have to agree on them.

But as you can see from this comment thread (and other places), I'm far from the only person who finds this upgrade underwhelming or disappointing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any improvement on sub-polygonal displacement rendering?

On the side note, the new grasshopper live connection on current AC version isn't as flexible as i was hoping it to be, also, the tooltips seems to be rushed out and unfinished with some inaccurate tooltips here and there
Robby
Booster
Of course, Some Opinions count more than others
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Waiting on AC20, next installment of videos. We have had a preview of some new features introduced into AC20. I will have a guess and say that there is more to come in improvements. I am not a Beta tester but have been using AC since version 7 off and on. I think Graphisoft maybe allot more generous than some of us give them credit for.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I told you before that GS is corporation oriented firm and user wish forum is a joke...yeah, it really is !

As i love SF movies i see all GS subscribers as a cows which have been milked every year. GS gave them forums to write wishes and no one from GS give a damm about it...it's good job because you take milk and give nothing or very little.Classic Matrix pattern. As long as cows are milked and blinded by the word BIM in beautiful concept videos nothing will change.

I see this update just like when old woman do plastic surgery...Under fake look its the same body...

GS is acting like they are on some other planet...milking architects from planet earth

At the end, what to say...opinion is just like ass, everybody has it
PB
Advocate
Well, this thread is certainly providing some amusing reading !

Back to AC20: For my part, it looks like a solid evolution...key points for me and our small practice...

- New UI: First reaction was 'oh no, what now!', but within a few minutes the current UI seemed so yesteryear.
- New UI: Increased useable screen space = great.....one simply can't get enough, & I'm on a 30" screen...
- Display over-ride: most promising - solves a lot of presentation / communication headaches.
- Nurbs: Also very promising - as pointed out - with very significant potential ramifications for all the 3D modelling tools. Perhaps the standout long-term development on the modelling side.
- Positive move towards manageable 'real BIM', but information input & extraction still a major headache.

Looking forward to a killer "and one more thing" upon final release...à la Steve Jobs...
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14