Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARCHICAD 20 Announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
See the official announcement here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/archicad-20-a-fresh-look-at-bim.html

There are already a few clips that show what is new:

http://archicad.com/en/
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995
165 REPLIES 165

Geof Gainer
Newcomer
The disappointed ones are no doubt the micro-firms and sole-proprietors like me, who don't have much use for, say, mass data sharing of curtain wall panel serial numbers. Occasionally there's a release that seems to benefit primarily the larger offices. AC 14 was like that. I was kinda hoping 20 would be another blockbuster like 10.

But as Laszlo suggests, there are good features to come. Plus, each release seems to address a bunch of little headaches not heralded in the release notes. Maybe we'll get cover fills on beams this time. Or decimal tabs in text.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 22 Build 7000 USA FULL, AC 23 Build 5005 USA FULL, AC 24 Build 3008 USA FULL. 2013 iMac 27, Intel Core i7, 32G ram. OS X 10.14.6 Mojave

I wan't going to comment on this at this time, but I'm simultaneously amazed while also not that surprised to find that other people feel as I do about this version upgrade.

But while I won't go as far as to say it's disappointing outright ( if only because we haven't really seen the full version yet), I will say that based on all the demo videos they've shown of it so far (Which typically tend to advertise the "best" new features), it is an excruciatingly underwhelming version.
(or maybe I'm just parsing words and that's just a distinction without a difference).

Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do - then it really behooves you to ensure you're really producing something that will address some of those concerns at least,...enough to justify it for them to continue spending their hard-earned money on it.

As it stands I could easily see quite a few firms deciding it's in their best interest to skip upgrading this version, based on what we've seen so far, at least.

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
As a sole-proprietor I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade, I think the new favourites and Graphic Overrides are very positive steps. There has I think been some careful thought in the GUI makeover and as usual I bet there will be more enhancements to improve the workflow that don't make the press release. It's possibly a bit premature to write off the upgrade unless you've been a beta tester?
Apple iMac macOS Big Sur / AC24UKI (most recent builds)

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a sole proprietor I think this is about the most under-whelming Archicad upgrade I can remember. I hope the reality will prove otherwise, but the previews and videos do not promise much to me.

Don Lee
Newcomer
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
27" iMaci7, OSX 10.11.4, AC 19

Zoltan Fuchs
Participant
Laszlo:

Can we have a screenshoot/detailed information from available criterias of Graphic Override dialog or it is under NDA?

eg. can we create rule for layers or/and 2d elements? Can we use the new Element Propetries parameters for Graphic Override?
i7-4770K / 16GB / GTX560 2GB / 512GB SSD / Win10 64bit
AC21 (HUN-64 bit) / Bimx Pro / Revit 2017

shtarkel
Participant
It is a bit strange to get used to the new GUI, but I like it and the most important think is that it is scalable now and for us with the 30 inch monitors is a bless!
The new features are not breathtaking but I think stability is much more important!
Maybe I expected more from a 20 version of ARCHICAD and especially workflow optimization and performance benefits so my 6-core CPU be used efficiently!

Don wrote:
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
Something to do with a lot of users asking for improvements in certain (critical) tools for OVER TEN YEARS and no hint or even suggestion that these are priorities for them (inasfar as we've heard from people that have actually spoken to the developers themselves at the annual ArchiCAD summer schools) as things that need improvement at all, or which may be improved in any upcoming versions in the immediate future.

Either that or the fact that each new version brings "improvements" in areas and aspects that not that many people seemed to have been clamoring for (per the wishlist section, and also in terms of their relative importance to our day-to-day bread-and-butter tasks and duties in design).

Take your pick.

And why are you shouting at me for having an opinion (which you acknowledge I have a right to)?

Vahur
Newcomer
Did GS add a diametral dimension tool?
i7-3770K, 32 GB RAM, FirePRO W8100 8 GB.
Windows 10 PRO x64. AC10-21
Current: AC 20 5025 INT

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Vahur wrote:
Did GS add a diametral dimension tool?
No, there is no such new feature.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

namtui
Newcomer
loving the new GUI !
do we know what the icon looks like in MacOS?
congrats to the team.
macOS — AC 20

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
namtui wrote:
loving the new GUI !
do we know what the icon looks like in MacOS?
congrats to the team.
Those overview clips were recorded on the Mac so that is how the icons look like in MacOS.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Stan Rostas
Newcomer
Rogerdodge wrote:

I have also been hoping for everyday functional features such as a world class keynoting tool, how can one of the worlds leading bim programs not have keynotes?
There is nothing that has been announced so far that I can see will be of any benefit to my business or workflow


We would prefer that all the data and notations are in the building material, the surface, the composite, and the complex profile, along with the improved data in ArchiCAD 20. We have been using what we have at the moment with the new labeling tool and we have been able to have over half of all notations directly associated to the object and its makeup. Then if the model changes all the labels change at all locations. We have the CADimage keynotes and this is not a database as it is not relational at all. Graphisoft's goal should be to have 85% of labels and notes generated from and populated from the objects.
Regards,

Stan Rostas
ArchiCAD 19 v5005 soon AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
Mac Pro Late 2013 12-Core Intel Xeon E5(2.7 GHz) 32gb RAM AMD FirePro D500 3gb(2)

Don Lee
Newcomer
Bricklyne wrote:
Don wrote:
Hi Bricklyne:
Suffice it say, when you operate under the premise that your users' concerns, opinions, requests (seemingly) don't matter - or at least, don't matter that much to you,....ostensibly because you know what's best for the program better than they do
I don't doubt your sincerity or your right to an opinion, but how did you come such a definitive conclusion?
Something to do with a lot of users asking for improvements in certain (critical) tools for OVER TEN YEARS and no hint or even suggestion that these are priorities for them (inasfar as we've heard from people that have actually spoken to the developers themselves at the annual ArchiCAD summer schools) as things that need improvement at all, or which may be improved in any upcoming versions in the immediate future.

Either that or the fact that each new version brings "improvements" in areas and aspects that not that many people seemed to have been clamoring for (per the wishlist section, and also in terms of their relative importance to our day-to-day bread-and-butter tasks and duties in design).

Take your pick.

And why are you shouting at me for having an opinion (which you acknowledge I have a right to)?
Well, I made the text larger simply for visibility and it turned out a bit larger than I thought. I THOUGHT SHOUTING WAS ALL CAPS? MY APOLOGIES.

As a user since 4.5, I am aware of your's and other's concerns. And while I don't always agree with what Graphisoft does, over all these years and versions, I have never felt that they treated their customers with the sort of deliberate indifference that you attribute to them. In my estimation, if Graphisoft more often than not did what the users clamored for, it would not be nearly as good as it is today.

If I truly felt that Graphisoft were deliberately ignoring their users or worse yet, did not have a greater vision for their software than their everyday users-well I would go find someone who I felt filled my particular needs.
27" iMaci7, OSX 10.11.4, AC 19

Don wrote:

Well, I made the text larger simply for visibility and it turned out a bit larger than I thought. I THOUGHT SHOUTING WAS ALL CAPS? MY APOLOGIES.

As a user since 4.5, I am aware of your's and other's concerns. And while I don't always agree with what Graphisoft does, over all these years and versions, I have never felt that they treated their customers with the sort of deliberate indifference that you attribute to them. In my estimation, if Graphisoft more often than not did what the users clamored for, it would not be nearly as good as it is today.

If I truly felt that Graphisoft were deliberately ignoring their users or worse yet, did not have a greater vision for their software than their everyday users-well I would go find someone who I felt filled my particular needs.
Well, like you said:

Opinions.

You're entitled to yours as am I mine.

And that's mine, and the beauty of it is we don't have to agree on them.

But as you can see from this comment thread (and other places), I'm far from the only person who finds this upgrade underwhelming or disappointing.

John Stanford
Newcomer
Any improvement on sub-polygonal displacement rendering?

On the side note, the new grasshopper live connection on current AC version isn't as flexible as i was hoping it to be, also, the tooltips seems to be rushed out and unfinished with some inaccurate tooltips here and there
ARCHICAD 22 5009 INT
Rhino 5 SR14 64-bit

ARCHICAD 16-21 INT
Windows 10 Home
i7 6700HQ 2.6~3.4GHz
NVIDIA GTX 980M 4GB
32 GB RAM

Robby
Booster
Of course, Some Opinions count more than others
Rob Marelli-
MacBook Pro (2019) 2.4 ghz -32 Gb RAM
OS X 11.5.2 - Archicad 25 - 3002

mthd
Newcomer
Waiting on AC20, next installment of videos. We have had a preview of some new features introduced into AC20. I will have a guess and say that there is more to come in improvements. I am not a Beta tester but have been using AC since version 7 off and on. I think Graphisoft maybe allot more generous than some of us give them credit for.
Manuel Trantalis Home Design

ArchiCAD 8.1 - 24

I told you before that GS is corporation oriented firm and user wish forum is a joke...yeah, it really is !

As i love SF movies i see all GS subscribers as a cows which have been milked every year. GS gave them forums to write wishes and no one from GS give a damm about it...it's good job because you take milk and give nothing or very little.Classic Matrix pattern. As long as cows are milked and blinded by the word BIM in beautiful concept videos nothing will change.

I see this update just like when old woman do plastic surgery...Under fake look its the same body...

GS is acting like they are on some other planet...milking architects from planet earth

At the end, what to say...opinion is just like ass, everybody has it
Q9550 QuadCore
8 GB RAM
GTX 580 3 GB
2X Dell U2412M

archicad - program with 2 much workarounds

PB
Contributor
Well, this thread is certainly providing some amusing reading !

Back to AC20: For my part, it looks like a solid evolution...key points for me and our small practice...

- New UI: First reaction was 'oh no, what now!', but within a few minutes the current UI seemed so yesteryear.
- New UI: Increased useable screen space = great.....one simply can't get enough, & I'm on a 30" screen...
- Display over-ride: most promising - solves a lot of presentation / communication headaches.
- Nurbs: Also very promising - as pointed out - with very significant potential ramifications for all the 3D modelling tools. Perhaps the standout long-term development on the modelling side.
- Positive move towards manageable 'real BIM', but information input & extraction still a major headache.

Looking forward to a killer "and one more thing" upon final release...à la Steve Jobs...
AC25. Twinmotion.
IMac Pro, OS11

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!