Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 21 announced - how do you like the new features?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please see the announcement and info about the new features here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Let us use this thread to discuss the new features of the program.

On the above page there is also a link using which you can register to watch the ARCHICAD 21 Event.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
115 REPLIES 115
rob2218
Enthusiast
with regards to the railing as it relates to the new stairs...any videos showing how to use the new railing tool and how to associate it to the stairs?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
rob2218 wrote:
with regards to the railing as it relates to the new stairs...any videos showing how to use the new railing tool and how to associate it to the stairs?
The most straightforward and easiest way is to use the Magic wand route.

Once you've set up your railing settings in the tool settings (or you can leave that for afterwards, if you prefer) hold the space bar (on PC; not sure what the Mac analogue to make the magic wand appear is) until the cursor turns into the magic wand icon and then move that to the side of the stair you want to associate the rail with (best to do this in the 3D window although you can do it in plan view as well), and as one of the new improvements of the magic wand in version 21, before releasing the spacebar, it will give you a preview of the railing in schematic form.
This is important as it allows you to associate the rail to BOTH a stair and a slab edge at the top or bottom of where the stair begins or ends as you run the magic wand along both the stair edge and the slab edge you want to associate it with and then once it looks right in the schematic view preview, then release the space bar to finish the creation process and the railing will be created that's associated to one or both.

For slab edges it's pretty straight forward with running the magic want to the edge of the slab and then adjust is as necessary to eliminate the sides you don't want a railing on.

In edit mode you can then disassociate segments of the railing as needs be, but until that point any adjustment to the slab edge or stair, will update the railing accordingly.

It's pretty nifty and intuitive.

The only negative I'll give is that they are not associative with ramps and that for that matter,(as others a have already pointed out) ramps weren't updated along with (or as part of) the stair tool since they are effectively part of the same "vocabulary", so to speak, in a building's structural hierarchy. They are subject to a lot of the same accessibility, safety and general building code requirements as stairs are in most cases and in many others entirely substitute for the use of stairs in large parts of buildings.

A big (and inexplicable and incomprehensible) misstep on GS part in this regard in my opinion.
Oh, and I forgot to add that the Graphisoft/ArchiCAD YouTube channel is great resource for tutorial or demo videos showing how the new features work in slightly more detail and specifically the stair and railing tools (I should have led with that).

They uploaded a couple of videos in the past few weeks that you might have missed, a lot of which specifically address your queries.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad/videos
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
rob2218 wrote:
Thats interesting discovery for me - no dedicated video for new Railing Tool at all
The only one demonstration you'll find in Premiere Event demonstration video, watch from 32'55" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYI1Mwjxd4
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Bricklyne wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to add that the Graphisoft/ArchiCAD YouTube channel is great resource for tutorial or demo videos showing how the new features work in slightly more detail and specifically the stair and railing tools (I should have led with that).

They uploaded a couple of videos in the past few weeks that you might have missed, a lot of which specifically address your queries.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad/videos
Would you be so kind and give me direct link to video about Railing Tool?
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Railing-related clips are coming soon on the ARCHICAD YouTube Channel.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27