Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARCHICAD 22 WHAT is coming up

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the last day for renewal for Archiplus. Anyone have any idear what will be in Archicad 22
21 REPLIES 21

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
If they do they cannot say because of NDAs.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Anonymous
Not applicable
Went is the preview release date of the archicad 22.

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Usually summer
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, but the preview is around end of april or first weeks of may

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Then you have more information than I.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every year they share the new tool and amelioration for the new version. The new version will be available around the mid june or the end of june for the US version.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's been some posts about the 22 reasons for Archicad 22, but I think that those post where published by mistake and were deleted rapidly.

But google is faster If you search in Google and check the cached pages for 22 reasons, you may find that information.

It says also that the new version will be released in June, as always.

Underwhelming.

But was to be expected I suppose, coming after version 21 with a big new tool in the Stair Tool.
This seems more like a performance upgrade and bug-fix version more than anything.

On the positive side, I suppose they should be commended for going back and improving a new tool (as well as some other existing tools that were long overdue) rather than what they typically do when they introduce a new tool and then never touch it again or improve it.
So that's a plus.

I just still feel like they're falling behind in many respects to their chief competitors.

felcunha
Expert
Bricklyne wrote:
I just still feel like they're falling behind in many respects to their chief competitors.
Are you kidding ? Did you see the improvements for Revit 2019 ? "tabbed windows", "full window perspective view"...
Come on...
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 25, OS X Big Sur

felcunha wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
I just still feel like they're falling behind in many respects to their chief competitors.
Are you kidding ? Did you see the improvements for Revit 2019 ? "tabbed windows", "full window perspective view"...
Come on...

The full Multi-monitor capability alone that they got (and which we're still waiting for. ...At least on the PC side) in this most recent version of theirs, is worth an entire upgrade for me.
We still have to work off of one monitor as if this is the 1990's and not like it's the 2010's with powerful graphics cards and GPU's.

Plus, don't forget the fact that they have their own version of an algorithmic Grasshopper-like editor (Dynamo) built right into Revit and not forcing them to have to rely on yet another program, IN ADDITION to having macroscripting capability (which we don't have at all).
And for some reason you decided not to mention the fact that they also have a VRay render bridge - which puts Cinerender to shame - which allows them to render professional quality images direct from Revit.

Yes, Graphisoft is falling behind.
Whether you want to admit it or not.

Just because they got around to updating the godawful stair tool after almost two full decades of people clamouring for it to be fixed, doesn't hide that fact.

strangeday
Contributor
Hello Bricklyne Clarence, sorry but I couldn't grasp the pattern behind your reasoning, for the algorithmic design, Graphisoft is wrong to rely on the best software in circulation(Grasshopper) that need a supplementary fee instead of having an internal(but extremely limited) solution as Dynamo, and on the contrary about rendering aspect, Graphisoft should be blamed because offer a free and really good render engine(and I want to underline that cinerender is miles far than Revit internal render engine), instead of developing a bridge to V-Ray, that anyway costs about 500 Euros(and in addition of this, I think that only ChaosGroup could decide to develop V-Ray for archicad…..I can't find how could Graphisoft enter in this decision…)…...

……..honestly seems to me, from your argument, that whatever Graphisoft chooses is wrong!...eheheheheh


I'm just kidding, and probaly you know more about me about version 22, anyway your vision seems to me too pessimisthic, completely agree about the need of scripting….or some other way to bypass gdl for the simple task that imply some sort of "parametricity", and also more care for Windows based users, as you said better multimonitor support, or better scaling with high dpi monitor(on this side it's hard to digest that Blender scale perfectly, or that all the news input peripherals, as pen or surface dialare not considered at all, and on the contrary support for mac touch bar came out 5 minute after presentation of the new macbbok!!! )


On the other aspect as I said, I think that is really preferable to have even greater integration with Grasshopper, than trying to reinvent the wheel, as for Dynamo(or worst Vectorworks Marionette!), and on the rendering side, to reach higher level of realism, before of thinking about V-Ray, or Corona Render, I think that Graphisoft should work on the possibility to enlarge mapping capability(ad example map each face of the elements, split the face into several material, UVW mapping or some possibility to move texture as for morph...ecc), and to permit the use of proxies to increment the polygonal count.



Francesco
AC24 Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB

DGSketcher
Rockstar
You tube makes entertaining viewing just now...

From what I'm seeing I think GS have made some significant improvements and if that includes bug fixes to solidify the core program I'm happy. Eradicating bugs and smoothing the workflow will have greater productivity gains than any bells & whistles new feature in my little world.
Apple iMac macOS Monterey / AC25UKI (most recent builds)

Dave Seabury
Enthusiast
I think the enhancements to the Complex Profile tool are huge. You can check it out on the GRAPHISOFT site.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB

strangeday wrote:
Hello Bricklyne Clarence, sorry but I couldn't grasp the pattern behind your reasoning, for the algorithmic design, Graphisoft is wrong to rely on the best software in circulation(Grasshopper) that need a supplementary fee instead of having an internal(but extremely limited) solution as Dynamo,....

My argument regarding the Grasshopper versus Dynamo situation is simply this.
Graphisoft are not the ones who develop Grasshopper. McNeel are.
And the only way to access it is through their software Rhino, which is what actually hosts Grasshopper (a plugin for Rhino, that's now integrated fully into Rhino as per version 6).

So as an ArchiCAD user, in order to take advantage of, or use Grasshopper, you not only have to learn Grasshopper, but also Rhino as well since there's no way you're going to be able to navigate anything in Grasshopper without being familiar with (at least the basics of) how Rhino works.
So really you have to learn two whole other programs aside from ArchiCAD.
Compared with Dynamo which already works inside Revit and which means they only have to learn Dynamo which works inside an environment they're already familiar with.

Now I get why they decided to do it this way. I also get the whole argument of not trying to re-invent the wheel when someone else has done it better.
I get all that.
Furthermore, as someone who's used Rhino for almost as long as I've used ArchiCAD and who's used Grasshopper from almost when it was developed including for my Thesis project in grad school, none of this affects me in the least bit.
But knowing how long it took me to learn and master those two outside of ArchiCAD and the effort involved, I'm pretty certain that it's likely to be an impediment to anyone wanting to learn or use the Grasshopper-Rhino-ArchiCAD bridge but who doesn't know anything about them.
Just as an aside, almost 15 years ago on THIS very same forum, I actually suggested or requested they develop a bridge or a plugin that allows ArchiCAD to read Rhino geometry or at least import and export for efficiently , and that was well over a decade before they actually did it and at a time when I was being dismissed for saying so as it was deemed unnecessary since "most architects don't use that."
Look where we are now.
If you don't make an effort to keep pace with (or stay ahead of) circumstances on the ground, sometimes the catch up with you and leave you behind.

strangeday wrote:
..... and on the contrary about rendering aspect, Graphisoft should be blamed because offer a free and really good render engine(and I want to underline that cinerender is miles far than Revit internal render engine), instead of developing a bridge to V-Ray, that anyway costs about 500 Euros(and in addition of this, I think that only ChaosGroup could decide to develop V-Ray for archicad…..I can't find how could Graphisoft enter in this decision…)…...
Again, I'm not slamming them for the decision to go with Cinerender since it was already available as a Maxon render engine and they both fall under the Nemetschek banner, but facts are what they are.
Vray is a vastly superior engine to Cinerender.
So is, REvit's de facto internal engine which is actually Mentalray. ALSO superior to Cinerender.


strangeday wrote:
……..honestly seems to me, from your argument, that whatever Graphisoft chooses is wrong!...eheheheheh
Take a look at my comments from last year regarding their decision to upgrade the stair tool.
I give them credit when it's deserved but I also hold them to account when I feel they're falling behind.

strangeday wrote:
I'm just kidding, and probaly you know more about me about version 22, anyway your vision seems to me too pessimisthic, completely agree about the need of scripting….or some other way to bypass gdl for the simple task that imply some sort of "parametricity", and also more care for Windows based users, as you said better multimonitor support, or better scaling with high dpi monitor(on this side it's hard to digest that Blender scale perfectly, or that all the news input peripherals, as pen or surface dialare not considered at all, and on the contrary support for mac touch bar came out 5 minute after presentation of the new macbbok!!! )


On the other aspect as I said, I think that is really preferable to have even greater integration with Grasshopper, than trying to reinvent the wheel, as for Dynamo(or worst Vectorworks Marionette!), and on the rendering side, to reach higher level of realism, before of thinking about V-Ray, or Corona Render, I think that Graphisoft should work on the possibility to enlarge mapping capability(ad example map each face of the elements, split the face into several material, UVW mapping or some possibility to move texture as for morph...ecc), and to permit the use of proxies to increment the polygonal count.
Francesco
I don't know any more than you do about Version 22.
But my opinion was based on what I saw on those cached pages and that was what had me concerned.

Also, I've been using this program for long enough to know that for the most part, my comments or criticism (however harsh or negative you deem them to be) at the end of the day essentially don't really matter.

They do what they want to do anyway and regardless of what users say or request.
This is just an avenue and opportunity for me to vent, that's all.

leceta
Expert
Compared with Dynamo which already works inside Revit and which means they only have to learn Dynamo which works inside an environment they're already familiar with.

i'am not agree. Dynamo is open souce at its core, was developed independt to Revit, and now is implemented as an addon for revit. They dont share geometry kernel, nor an api... because they are independent apps (revit .net api is for dynamo as reachable as it can be for grasshopper). Last, for a experienced revit user, dynamo is as abstract as it can be grasshopper for an Archicad user, since one has two start thinking algorithmically managing abstract element data types, bla,bla...

my feeling is that archicad is getting better an better, and I share with your feeling that this company doesnt listen to customers, but at the end of the day, they do things right.

The use of expressions is another long waited power feature, and here it is! yesss

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Just to clarify that GS does listen to its customers here, in the Beta Site and in GDC (Graphisoft Development Consultation Program) but there are some limitations and time frames that we as users cannot change or that we don't know about. For example the Stair tool was announced 3 years ago in GDC, was released a year ago, and was updated this year and we could add a minimum of a year of work before GDC for a total of 5 years dev which in computer terms is an eternity.

We might not always get what we want when we want it but they try to grant our wishes as fast as they can.

If you want your opinions to have more weight, instead of complaining once a year that they don't listen or that they are falling behind then you can participate in the Beta by signing up for it (benefit of using the next release early and get some hints of what might come in the future) and there you can sign on to GDC by asking (or getting invited) or you can be the last in line and just post here.

Do not assume that writing wishes and complaining in ACTalk is not worth it but it is not the same as having an argument with one of the developers.

They also listen to individual users and not only to big companies since I as a sole practitioner have gotten the devs to implement or change direction on a "feature" on more than one occasion.

Wanted to get this out of the way since it looks like we have started on the yearly "GS Bashing Since They Didn't Do What I Wanted So They Will Go Out Of Business" (GBSTDDWIWSTWGOOB for short) phase of the release cycle.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

leceta wrote:
Compared with Dynamo which already works inside Revit and which means they only have to learn Dynamo which works inside an environment they're already familiar with.

this is by no means true. Dynamo is open souce at its core, was developed independt to Revit, and now is implemented as an addon for revit. They dont share geometry kernel, nor an api... because they are independent apps (revit .net api is for dynamo as reachable as it can be for grasshopper). Last, for a experienced revit user, dynamo is as abstract as it can be grasshopper for an Archicad user, since one has two start thinking algorithmically managing abstract element data types, bla,bla...

my feeling is that archicad is getting better an better, and I share with your feeling that this company doesnt listen to customers, but at the end of the day, they do things right.

The use of expressions is another long waited power feature, and here it is! yesss
You missed my point and ended up re-iterating what I said in the different way.

I said nothing about how they're developed.
My point was that to use Dynamo you don't have to leave Revit and fire up an entirely different software (which you have to know how to use and navigate) as you do with Grasshopper where you have to have Rhino running and only connect back to ArchiCAD using the live bridge.

Either way you're learning something entirely different from what you're used to (be it with Grasshopper or Dynamo).
The difference is they don't have the go-between of Rhino that we do, and my point is that Rhino is a whole other beast to learn on its own if you've never worked in that environment or in that way of working, regardless of the added difficulties of learning and working in Grasshopper on top of that.

Grasshopper also started out as an open-source-(ish) plugin to Rhino developed mostly independently of Rhino by David Rutten and was only fully integrated into the Rhino pipeline and interface as its popularity grew.
Lest I point out the obvious, Grasshopper is just as inscrutable for a lot of advanced Rhino users as Dynamo is for Revit users unless they're into algorithmic programming and design.

ejrolon wrote:
Just to clarify that GS does listen to its customers here, in the Beta Site and in GDC (Graphisoft Development Consultation Program) but there are some limitations and time frames that we as users cannot change or that we don't know about. For example the Stair tool was announced 3 years ago in GDC, was released a year ago, and was updated this year and we could add a minimum of a year of work before GDC for a total of 5 years dev which in computer terms is an eternity.

We might not always get what we want when we want it but they try to grant our wishes as fast as they can.

If you want your opinions to have more weight, instead of complaining once a year that they don't listen or that they are falling behind then you can participate in the Beta by signing up for it (benefit of using the next release early and get some hints of what might come in the future) and there you can sign on to GDC by asking (or getting invited) or you can be the last in line and just post here.

Do not assume that writing wishes and complaining in ACTalk is not worth it but it is not the same as having an argument with one of the developers.

They also listen to individual users and not only to big companies since I as a sole practitioner have gotten the devs to implement or change direction on a "feature" on more than one occasion.

Just wanted to get this out of the way since it looks like we have started on the yearly "GS Bashing Since They Didn't Do What I Wanted So They Will Go Out Of Business" (GBSTDDWIWSTWGOOB for short) phase of the release cycle.
You know (and I recognise this pushback was coming ever since I typed that comment), I was just in the Wishlist section not that long ago, in a different thread from one that I had started (Requesting full Multi-monitor capability, for PC users just like Mac users have had for a few versions now) and it came to light that an issue that someone had made a wish for (i.e. for the walking line direction on the Stair Tool to be storey-sensitive) had actually been brought up during the beta-testing phase, and that those concerns were brushed away by developers who insisted that based on their knowledge most users were accustomed to the Walking line pointing in one direction (lower floor to higher floor) regardless of which storey you were on relative to the stair.

Which was news to me at least, (and the people "complaining",... as you would probably put it, ...in that thread) based on my experience in different markets I've worked in and also just based on old-fashioned logic with how we read drawings and organize information.
Maybe I'm wrong and its just a North American thing, but nowhere can I ever recall seeing a representation of a stair on a second or third floor for example with the arrow pointing towards you, while the lettering indicates "DN".
It just makes no sense. I personally thought it was a bug, until I stumbled onto that thread to learn that it was intentional to do it that way. Blew my mind away.

It's a silly and possibly inconsequential example but one that nonetheless seems to unintentionally highlight the perception that even being a beta-tester doesn't exactly help in getting your views or concerns pushed through or heard (or acted upon) by the developers.
At least until they release the version and then get different feedback from a wider audience.
So maybe they've resolved this one issue in the upcoming version 22 - we'll see in some weeks, I guess - but do you see where I'm coming from?
There was an issue. They raised it. It was ignored and the developers did their own thing anyway.
And those were beta-testers.


And as for the "complaining", as I pointed out to someone else, please take a moment to take a look at my comments regarding version 21 when it was announced and released. Particularly regarding the stair tool.
I mean if you're going to ignore the times I actually give them credit and praise them when they get things right and only focus on the negative criticism, then what's the point of all this at all?
Because it just indicates that we should only speak up only when we have positive things to say, otherwise either just shut up or join the beta-testing group where our "complaints" will be ignored in even greater resolution.

Help me out here.
What am I supposed to do?
Just shut up and only sing praises?

I've used this program for almost 2 decades now going all the way to version 8/8.1.
So clearly I appreciate its positive aspects and strengths.
Yes, I complain a lot and I raise a lot of issue - particularly during release time.
It may just be the perception that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, or maybe it's just that I just want this program to be better because I actually do enjoy using it and appreciate the benefit it brings to my work.

I've been using it long enough to remember a time when developers actually used to chime in, in discussions on these forums from time to time (early-to-mid aughts), and when they stopped.
It's encouragin to see that they're starting to get back and at least answer queries here and there.
But the point here is, if people get the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you're not listening or they're not being heard, most people will simply stop communicating their concerns to you.
That's just human nature. Nobody likes talking to a brick wall.

Anyway, I've said enough.
I don't think I'll say anything more including regarding this new version even when its released, because doing so seems to upset people rather then raise concerns or generate any useful discussions that can be overall beneficial for everyone.

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
BC,

You too are misconstruing my comments, which usually happens yearly around this time, I don't mind your criticisms or your opinions, we have argued with each other so many times on these forums that I really don't care.

What I wanted to get across is that regardless of the impression on these forums, GS does listen and the new ways in which they are listening. I also stated full blast with AC08 and in those times GS did things differently but now they have evolved their options about feedback and ACTalk is not the only one. This options are for those who are interested and willing to participate in them.

So from my point of view this is not a pushback, maybe I was wrong to write "complaining" but I though that writing this made it clear that you can write whatever you like
Do not assume that writing wishes and complaining in ACTalk is not worth it but it is not the same as having an argument with one of the developers.
As to your example
…for PC users just like Mac users have had for a few versions now) and it came to light that an issue that someone had made a wish for (i.e. for the walking line direction on the Stair Tool to be storey-sensitive) had actually been brought up during the beta-testing phase, and that those concerns were brushed away by developers who insisted that based on their knowledge most users were accustomed to the Walking line pointing in one direction (lower floor to higher floor) regardless of which storey you were on relative to the stair…
I was one of those that raised the problem with the walk line on GDCP more than a year ago and the concerns were not brushed away as you wrote it was a programing and time limitation and because of that they indicated that it was going to be fixed on 22 and I still need to check if they did now since on the first 2 Betas it still was not fixed as I liked. Same thing happened with the drain channel and lots of other stuff. But I did get a couple of my pet peeve wish list items done, for example, Autotexts for YEAR, MONTH and DAY individually so you can write YYYY•MM•DD or DD•MM•YY or however you like. It was not difficult for the devs to do but someone had to remind them to do it.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56792&hilit=stair

-----
So for those others that wants to get more involved in helping guide AC's future, beyond posting Wishes in ACTalk, get in the Beta, participate and try to get in GDCP.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!