BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 22 announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
New version has been announced, for details please go to:
http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Please use this thread to talk about your impressions of the new features.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
42 REPLIES 42
Barry Kelly
Steve,
I have replied to your post in the Beta forum rather than going a bit off topic here.
We can start a new post if people are interested and don't have Beta access - but it would probably be better to wait till 22 is released.

For those possibly still interested...
It is easy to calculate board feet (I now know it it the volume of the timber divided by 144 cubic inches).
You just can't show the unit in the total of a schedule - because we can't edit that.
Best we can do is add it to the title.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve wrote:
I have been asking the question about how Expressions may be limited by the Calculation Units available for Interactive Schedules since last February. 150 views on the BETA Forum 0 replies.
I think the answer is that the Working Units Dialog has been extended and includes new fields for Area and Volume. There are now settings for Length, Area, Volume and Angle, which correspond to the 4 new Data Types available for Properties. These control the format and decimals values are displayed for these data types in the Property Manager Dialog.
Which means that if I understand you question right, then Calculation Units settings have no connection to anything you do in the Property Manager Dialog, as far as I know.
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
I think the answer is that the Working Units Dialog has been extended and includes new fields for Area and Volume. There are now settings for Length, Area, Volume and Angle, which correspond to the 4 new Data Types available for Properties. These control the format and decimals values are displayed for these data types in the Property Manager Dialog.
Which means that if I understand you question right, then Calculation Units settings have no connection to anything you do in the Property Manager Dialog, as far as I know.
As far as I can tell the property manager uses the units set in the 'Calculation Units'.
I have my calc units set to metric and my working units set to inches.
When I evaluate a property I get a result in metric.

Strangely though when I go to a schedule, the width and height are inches - so that is the working units.
But the length, area, and volume are all metric - so are using the calc units.

Seems a bit messed up to me.
I am sure this has been mentioned before.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry guys, my mistake, you are right. I was considering only the values displayed in the Properties Dialog fields.
The calculated Property values are indeed displayed based on the "Calculation Units and Rules" settings.
So when select an element, go to the Property Manager Dialog, and you Evaluate an Expression-based Property, it will display the generated value based on the "Calculation Units and Rules" settings.
Barry wrote:
Steve,
I have replied to your post in the Beta forum rather than going a bit off topic here.
We can start a new post if people are interested and don't have Beta access - but it would probably be better to wait till 22 is released.

For those possibly still interested...
It is easy to calculate board feet (I now know it it the volume of the timber divided by 144 cubic inches).
You just can't show the unit in the total of a schedule - because we can't edit that.
Best we can do is add it to the title.

board_feet.jpg

Barry.
I think that works for me! I will check it out.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

poco2013 wrote:
Barry wrote:
I am not familiar with the term 'board feet' but you can certainly determine the length of an element and round it up to ordering lengths.
Barry.
Boards are rounded up to standard lengths of 2' increments with a limit of 20' (16' practically) of which there is no function presently defined. You would have to use the IF Function to set a constant then use that constant in another formula to cal Bd Ft. (There is no SET variable function ). Also the if function always returns a value which make the logic near impossible. You then have the problem of which calculation is done first as there is no way to control the sequence of calculations unless possibly it is done in the order listed in the property manager -- and this approach may create conflicts with other formula?

I'm guessing most would find this procedure as too confusing?
? The Board Foot is a Volume. 1 Cubic Foot = 12 Board Feet.
This is the fundamental unit of measure in North America ( probably elsewhere too) for Lumber and Timber. If anyone wants to know why that it important I will be happy to explain it.
Also I think you are barking up the wrong tree trying to use Expressions to round things off to the nearest 2' increment. You can schedule how many of each length you need using schedule Criteria. Like this:
I make a schedule for each lenght...8',10',12',14',16',20' I don't have any use for the Framing Tool.
As has been demonstrated, it is possible using Expressions to schedule volume in Board Feet. The only little catch is that you need to change the text of the Tile to read Board Feet.

Keep in mind that we would not need to use Expressions for this if Board Feet were a Calculation Unit.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I think it is important to know that Expressions are not just for Schedules.
They are going to be very useful for Documentation also and other things also. I have seen some clever examples of how they are used with Label content as well.
It may not be perfected yet, but Expressions will extend productivity in many ways. Figuring out how to use them is going to take some time.

henryL
Enthusiast
Is it possible to create an expression that referes to other object?
Example:

Wall1 is 10 m^3 Wall2 is 5m^3

Wall1% = Wall1/(Wall1+Wall2)*100
Barry Kelly
The short answer - no.
Expressions only apply to one property in one element.
That property can be applied to all elements, but one element can't read the value from another element.

However now for the long answer - or should I say possibility.
They can refer to other expressions, so if you had an expression that is the total of all wall volumes, then each wall could create a value for its % of that total value.
So you would have to create a schedule to determine the total volume.
Then create a property that is that total value.
The problem is it would not be live.
Should the total walls change you would have to manually update the property for that total.
Without experimenting I am not sure if you would need to do that for all walls (as each wall will have this total property) or if you can set a fixed value so that if you update it once all elements get that new value.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason the youtube videos have been replaced with a woman voice instead of the usual guy who was the original voice in the Archicad 22 videos and in previous version. Any ideas what happened? I don't care but it's just weird.

Thanks
Learn and get certified!