Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 22 announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
New version has been announced, for details please go to:
http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Please use this thread to talk about your impressions of the new features.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable
Love to see faster and smoother 2D animations. Congratulations!

any improvements in 3D speed?

does archicad mac version use macos new Metal API for faster redraw and 3d speed improvement?

I hope future archicad versions implements AMD firerender technology for GPU render acceleration in cinerender, like cinema4D last version do.
poco2013
Mentor
FWIW: It's difficult to evaluate any product based on promotional videos – But a few personal observations. IMNOHO only.

1. Expressions in Properties. - A long overdue ability to perform calculations. Archicad chose to implement via internal functions similar to the existing patterns within schedules. I'm sure the intent is to provide a simplified format already similar to users. It falls short, in my opinion, in that it is much too limited in features. I would have preferred that a scripting language like Python or Ruby would have been provided instead. Inevitably, users will demand more and more features which will just complicate and confuse usage. In keeping things in house, Archicad is programming features already available elsewhere. In effect, reinventing the wheel and making enhancements and maintenance more difficult. Opinion is positive but apprehensive about future improvements and support.
2. Offset Modifiers and Parametric Profiles – Great improvement – It remains to be seen, if in practice, it works as smoothly as shown in the videos which used the most simplified profile. I would have liked to have this feature extended to composites e.g. Vectorworks, which would make the feature more versatile.
3. Curtain walls – This feature has been updated to recognize the more artistic designs used in curtain walls. Unfortunately, Archicad still ignores usage of the Curtain Wall tool for things other than curtain walls i.e. framing, decks, etc.
4. Attribute Manager – Common sense consolidation and improvement.
5. IFC – Seems to be the poor relation as no video explanation given, as was the case last year. More attention to detail needed.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Podolsky
Ace
I've got very strange feelings about last releases of ArchiCAD. First at all - ArchiCAD 21 was (and probably still) buggy. Amount of bugs was so huge that it was really hard to use (especially in Teamwork) for first half year. I also noticed that some of operations in ArchiCAD do not use full power of computer (probably some algorithms of scheduling, maybe drawings updates - I've got latest "Killing Machine" MacPro with 32 GB RAM - and some tasks are still very slow), BIMx global illumination render still works on one core. Starting from ArchiCAD 19 more then half GDL commands "REQUEST" been cut from Parameter script - that really made GDLing is not attractive as it was before.
Talking about ArchiCAD 22 announcement - of course it's necessary to see deeply new documentation (any changes in GDL by the way?) But this is my first impression:

1. Curtain wall. Excellent improvements. I hope it's not buggy as it was in ArchiCAD 21. Very good feature for custom classes for panels. But why not the same for frames, or I missed something? I need more classes for frames then only "mullion", "transom" and "boundary".

2. Parametric Custom Profiles. Looks a little bit like Revit families settings. Maybe useful but I'm not sure I need it. Video shows example that it possible adjust levels of skins in complex wall. Question - when I quantify this wall - will schedule show automatically thickness of each skin, as if it would be simple composite wall? ArchiCAD 21 does not show skin thickness of complex profile wall and I'm not sure ArchiCAD 22 will.

3. Properties. Interesting. But actually all that already exists in GDL. Of course it's cool feature, it opens a lot of possibilities but how many users will use all these possibilities (how many users are using GDL properly)? I definitely will use this feature but maybe mostly for brick quantity. How about global review of scheduling functionality? Algorithm exists since ArchiCAD 6.5 and almost did not change. Will anything happen with Listing? Listing - stone age forgotten function, but still have excellent feature - attached property object to building element (that could for example contain different 2D drawing, that could be generated from variables). Can we merge Listing and Scheduling and made it more like Excel?

4. Updated CineRender. Stereoscopic images. Do I need it? I need that GI in BIMx would show lamps as light sources. And multi-core render. Or completely replace BIMx GI algorithms (with CineRender for example).

5. LOD for Library Parts. Great idea that I use for my own GDL library for 2 years. I have 5 levels of Details by the way. Does someone think to re-write standard ArchiCAD library completely (except of me)? Many-many elements there are old and awful. Completely new library can change look of ArchiCAD and projects made in it.

I remember the time of ArchiCAD 6.5, when Graphisoft team tried do not overload ArchiCAD with many new features and it was good - program was light, didn't have a lot of commands and functions (opposite to 3D max of that time) but very powerful. Today it seems that direction has changed. Program becoming heavier and heavier and I'm not sure I'm getting what I really need with new version.
Eduardo Rolon
On a lighter note.
Improvements to the CW tool include this one.
No idea why it didn't make the list?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Podolsky wrote:
1. Curtain wall. Excellent improvements. I hope it's not buggy as it was in ArchiCAD 21. Very good feature for custom classes for panels. But why not the same for frames, or I missed something? I need more classes for frames then only "mullion", "transom" and "boundary".
I think this was addressed.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
poco2013 wrote:
1. Expressions in Properties. - A long overdue ability to perform calculations.
What good is it to have more specific data extracted into the Interactive Schedules if we do not have the UNITS OF MEASURE that are necessary for them? The only new unit of measure for 22 is the decimeter.
We need the ability to define our own units of measure too. Boxes, Tubes, Bundles, Units, Squares, Spools, Sacks, Sheets, Rolls, Cartons... In addition to units of measure like Board Feet, Square Yards, Acres, Sections, Chains, Links, Miles...

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

poco2013
Mentor
You have me at somewhat of a disadvantage because I'm not a beta tester -- But based on the videos ---

I believe you can now mix units of measure by appending a unit label -- as in appending a mm, cm, ft, dm, etc. to the numbers.
This gets you to the units or measurement you require with the conversions taken care of for you. To display or append the final reference as in ' bags of concrete'
You would simply convert the number to a string using the 'STR' function than append the intended units of measurement to that string using the 'concat' function. e.g. "432 Bags" or 500 ft of 6" Sheathing"

Or am I Wrong??
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve wrote:
poco2013 wrote:
1. Expressions in Properties. - A long overdue ability to perform calculations.
What good is it to have more specific data extracted into the Interactive Schedules if we do not have the UNITS OF MEASURE that are necessary for them? The only new unit of measure for 22 is the decimeter.
We need the ability to define our own units of measure too. Boxes, Tubes, Bundles, Units, Squares, Spools, Sacks, Sheets, Rolls, Cartons... In addition to units of measure like Board Feet, Square Yards, Acres, Sections, Chains, Links, Miles...
Steve,
I think you will be able to do these kinds of things, but differently. Instead of having the ability to define your own Units of measurement, you will have text manipulation functions. So you will be able to calculate, let us say, how many boxes, and then you will be able to create a text property that says "234 boxes". Then you will be able to Schedule that Property.
This clips shows a few examples:

https://youtu.be/6HcFlCQH00g?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUv8rM2RYu5RQnXVlZ-xdd7
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
RandyC
Advocate
I'm going to have to go back to school
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9