Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 24 vs. previous versions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been around since the very first version of ARCHICAD for Windows (4.16, I think) and went through a few crucial ARCHICAD milestones of my own, with my personal favorites being:

AC21 — IFC improvements culminating in Integrated Collision Detection
AC17 — Building Materials and Priority Based Connections
AC16 — 3D editing, and Energy Evaluation
AC15 — Renovation workflow
AC13 — BIM Delta Server
AC5.1 — First Teamwork

But, AC24 is by far the most comprehensive version upgrade I have witnessed...
It will take me some time to go over all the new features, but PARAM-O, Python API, Revit references and Structural Analytical Models are coming into our practices with a loud "bang!" already...

@Graphisoft — Thank you for making ARCHICAD the application it now is. I wish you all the BIM awards this year! The application is definitely worth it.
11 REPLIES 11
It's worth pointing out that the MEP modeler is now included in the base package, which represents hundreds of dollars for a previous add-on. While not every small firm is going to use this, this is not something that is exclusively used by large firms, and could be useful even in a higher-end residential small practice. I haven't really dug into the new issue management scheme and the new Transmittal Sets, but I could see this as also being relevant to a small firm. Model checking and model compare could also be potentially useful. I'm willing to give the new features a chance to settle in before labeling them as completely irrelevant to a small practice.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl wrote:
Robert wrote:
You're kidding? No Mac version??
No Mac version of Param-O "yet". Akos Pfemeter (and others) note in the presentations that the Mac version of Param-O will arrive in an update later this year. He called the version included with the Windows release an "Alpha" version of Param-O.

As a Mac user, I find this disappointing as well ... but can imagine that with something involving uniquely new graphically interactive code like Param-O, it is more efficient for the developers to polish one code base to at least beta or release status before fully porting to Mac.

As a glass half full person... at least they released 24 now, rather than waiting 3 months in order to release it with Mac Param-O 🙂

OR....

....here's a crazy thought....

...or they could just wait and release it when it's fully ready and stable.
For ALL users.
Even if that meant waiting an entire year for another version.

Rather than using one side of the divide as Beta-testers and sacrificial lambs for a tool that's not fully mature, and if anything just risks depressing any interest or future enthusiasm in and for it.

Just saying.

But then again if they did that, they'd not really have anything much to show for this version, in terms of new features. Outside of tools for structural engineers and the architects who have a specific and unique workflow with them, that is.

And therein lies the rub.