Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Activate drag, rotate, mirror copy etc.

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with a delay and sometimes no response to the keyboard shortcut for dragging, rotating or mirroring a copy using cmd+d, cmd+e, cmd+m etc and pressing the alt modifier key on macOS. It’s been an ongoing issue for me and seems to be getting worse and worse with each version. I have to activate the option modifier and pause or wiggle the mouse for it to activate and sometimes it doesn’t work at all. Particularly annoying with drag a copy when you realise after several steps the element was moved and not copied. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
11 REPLIES 11
Djordje
Ace

yes, albeit on windows, and even reported it as a bug multiple times. my old arthritic fingers are faster than Archicad... they hit the CTRL or ALT CTRL faster than it can see... incredible... 😄

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

I’ve reported it many many times too but just get told it cannot be replicated and no other reports have been made so it’s good to hear it’s not just me. It is really infuriating though. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Djordje
Ace

absolutely, especially on larger files, where you notice that it did not register five steps later, hit angrily CTRL Z five times, and go to get some coffee while it undoes what was wrongly done

Djordje

HP Omen
Eduardo Rolon

I see it constantly.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

runxel
Legend

And I always wondered whats going on. Sheesh. Another thing added to the long list of Archicad weirndnesses that are denied by GS but clearly there. (like the 3Dconnection mouse bug)

On a tangent note: I think that Archicad has some deep underlying architectural problems on how their event queue works (or rather not, in this case).

E.g. if you select something it takes me (and colleagues for that matter, I'm hardly the only one) up to 10 seconds until the toolbox is even populated. In the meantime the beachball swings around and you can't do anything else, so there is a big bottleneck here as this is clearly not async, as it should be. This could be a classic "works on my machine" for the devs, because they probably have some juicy machines over there.

Fun fact: Most other programs run smooth, e.g. Blender or Rhino – so it is absolutely something in GS' control range.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Are you guys running many other applications?

I noticed this behavior when I run many applications, and they start "competing for CPU resources". I then tried to close those other applications that take a lot of CPU resources, and Archicad always started to respond much faster.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi, not that I know of. Generally I will only be running Mail and Calendar alongside Archicad. Occasionally two instances of Archicad. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Aside from Firefox with at least three to four tabs open and/or Chrome (because it is required by local approving authorities...) if required, and Outlook, the only open apps are another Archicad or three

Djordje

HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

OK, so I guess this must be a different issue then.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27