Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Add property setting information to existing elements in Archicad

Erick Thomas
Contributor
Is this possible to do in the AC-GH connection?

I can extract property settings information from existing AC elements and create new elements with custom property settings information in GH, but I don't how how to add more information to existing AC elements via the AC-GH connection
Erick Thomas

AC 25
10 REPLIES 10
Erick Thomas
Contributor
Anyone? At least an "I don't know"
Erick Thomas

AC 25
Barry Kelly
Erick wrote:
Anyone? At least an "I don't know"
I don't know.
But I guess that doesn't really help you.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
poco2013
Mentor
FYI:

You can run Python scripts within GH and this script can write to existing properties. But Python is quite limited in Archicad and it appears that Graphisoft has reneged on its promises to make the Python API viable? As, Python has no capability to create or set elements or manipulate their parameters.

As of version 25, Python can communicate with API add-ons and transfer commands and parameters. You would, of course, have to also create and install the corresponding receiving Add-on to do the actual commands. However, if you just want to set existing properties, Python can do this by itself, but not much else.

IOW: this approach (Python) does not make much sense as it is probably more trouble than worth, but you should be aware if you have no other option.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Erick wrote:

I can extract property settings information from existing AC elements and create new elements with custom property settings information in GH, but I don't how to add more information to existing AC elements via the AC-GH connection:?

Generally, the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection CAN create new elements in Archicad, and modify the elements it created.
Unfortunately, at this point, it CAN NOT modify existing (already created/placed) elements in Archicad.
This capability has been wished for several times in the past by users.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erick Thomas
Contributor
it's better than not having any answer and feeling stupid for asking the question
Erick Thomas

AC 25
Erick Thomas
Contributor
LaszloNagy wrote:
Erick wrote:

I can extract property settings information from existing AC elements and create new elements with custom property settings information in GH, but I don't how to add more information to existing AC elements via the AC-GH connection:?

Generally, the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection CAN create new elements in Archicad, and modify the elements it created.
Unfortunately, at this point, it CAN NOT modify existing (already created/placed) elements in Archicad.
This capability has been wished for several times in the past by users.
Thanks a lot for the answer Laszlo
Erick Thomas

AC 25
Erick Thomas
Contributor
poco2013 wrote:
FYI:

You can run Python scripts within GH and this script can write to existing properties. But Python is quite limited in Archicad and it appears that Graphisoft has reneged on its promises to make the Python API viable? As, Python has no capability to create or set elements or manipulate their parameters.

As of version 25, Python can communicate with API add-ons and transfer commands and parameters. You would, of course, have to also create and install the corresponding receiving Add-on to do the actual commands. However, if you just want to set existing properties, Python can do this by itself, but not much else.

IOW: this approach (Python) does not make much sense as it is probably more trouble than worth, but you should be aware if you have no other option.
Thanks a lot for the answer. I don't know how to do this in Python (yet ). Is there any guide I could see to learn how to do it?
Erick Thomas

AC 25
JSN
Enthusiast
https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/getting-started-with-archicad-python-connection

It is indeed the way to go when you want to change existing elements. E.g. giving all certain rooms a specific property value, or changing classifications based on property values with just one click. However some Python knowledge would be good as it might be a bit hard to get into it as there ain't much documentation and the sample files do not go that much into the detail.

And yes, seems like there is not much developement on this front again, and as we know GS I would not bet any money on it that there ill me a boost in functionality in the near future.
Erick Thomas
Contributor
JSN wrote:
https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/getting-started-with-archicad-python-connection

It is indeed the way to go when you want to change existing elements. E.g. giving all certain rooms a specific property value, or changing classifications based on property values with just one click. However some Python knowledge would be good as it might be a bit hard to get into it as there ain't much documentation and the sample files do not go that much into the detail.

And yes, seems like there is not much developement on this front again, and as we know GS I would not bet any money on it that there ill me a boost in functionality in the near future.
Sorry for answering so late, I didn't see your answer. Thanks for the tip, I'm already started looking at it
Erick Thomas

AC 25