Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Adding percentage to Zone Area schedule

cadsph
Enthusiast

Hi,

How do you add a percentage column to a zone area schedule? Where each zone/area is a percentage of the total site area?

Please see attached. 

percent Area analysis.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

This is what you need to do.

zone_areas_1.jpg

zone_areas_2.jpg

zone_areas_3.jpg

Barry.

zone_areas_1.jpgzone_areas_2.jpgzone_areas_3.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

I think you’d have to create a new property expression and a zone for the entire building or site area to calculate it or have a property which defines the overall area figure then use an expression to calculate the percentage of each zone based on that figure. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

@Lee Hankins 

To do this correctly,  you need to somehow collect all the data about the zones in one object, because formulas (property expressions) work at the individual element level. How can you do it?
In this case, it's probably possible to create an property for overall zone to have a total area figure, and then use an expression to calculate the percentage of each zone based on this figure, but this is a semi-automatic method. For complex projects, this is not a very suitable solution.

Unfortunately, the truth is that it's better to export this schedule to Excel, add a percentage column, and then import it back into Archicad.
Maybe you know how to do it differently?

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Win11 | Ryzen 5600 | 16 GB | GTX 1650
Barry Kelly

Zones can not talk to each other and schedules can not do calculations, so you have to set it up with properties with expressions as Lee mentioned.

You need to create a fixed property for zones where you can manually set that property value to the overall area of all of your zones.

Then set up your percentage expression, based on the actual zone area as a percentage of the total area property.

See the Help reference for a similar example ... https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC25_Help%2F045_Prope...

Except is it not quite the same - the 'mandatory glazed area' which is a fixed value, will become your 'total zone area' fixed value.

If your total zone area ever changes, you will have to manually adjust that fixed value.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
ryejuan
Advisor

is there a simpler way?

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

@ryejuan wrote:

is there a simpler way?

Manually doing the calculations yourself.

Or exporting the zone areas to an external spreadsheet you have set up that can do the calculations for you - but I wouldn't say that is easier.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
poco2013
Mentor

Python Script ???

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Hi Barry,

I've created a new property in "General Rating", but it's like the schedule can read the property to populated it?

Please find attached. 

Use "Calc Area" --> convert unit to String --> convert to Number ...

Screenshot 2022-07-04 123707.jpg

In a way that's what I'm currently doing for most projects. Prone to error specially if you are rushing things and might overlook certain items. Am not sure how difficult it is for Graphisoft to incorporate this kind of things in their built in schedules (wishing that there is a button to press with % or show all FFL or Glass symbol for your door and windows schedules.)

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Solution

This is what you need to do.

zone_areas_1.jpg

zone_areas_2.jpg

zone_areas_3.jpg

Barry.

zone_areas_1.jpgzone_areas_2.jpgzone_areas_3.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27