BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Adding percentage to Zone Area schedule

cadsph
Enthusiast

Hi,

How do you add a percentage column to a zone area schedule? Where each zone/area is a percentage of the total site area?

Please see attached. 

percent Area analysis.jpg
42 REPLIES 42

@cadsph wrote:

HI

That's pretty nifty poco2013, you've used Python to extract the actual zone area "value(s)" and populate an array from it, then show it in Archicad. 

The Data is there, you've clearly shown that. 

But why can't we do the same thing using Archicad directly?
(This is an open question, I'm not aiming this at you poco2013, I just want to know).

Because schedules and expressions only have access to the data of a single element at a time (the data only of a particular element). I believe this is for performance reasons. The C++ API and the Python API - by extension - has access to the entire plan database or all elements.   The solution, in other software, is to confine scripts, such as Python , to only a manual refresh, similar to a zone update.
That is easily done and Graphisoft did accept a wish to allow scripts to be run in expressions and schedules, but nothing ever came of it. I understand that they have lost some key people. But that is just a excuse. They have many key people, so its seems their not interested.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

No worries.

Hi there, I'm trying to follow your steps but in Step 2.1 I can't quite see the formula you've used as your red oval is covering part of it. Is it ROUND ( % INPUT 2 ) * 100 ? 

Is this correct or am I missing something? Also, does it have spaces or no spaces between brackets etc?

Many thanks!

It should be ... ROUND ( % INPUT, 2 ) * 100 

There is a comma being hidden.

This is the format for ROUND command ...

BarryKelly_0-1678409485750.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry, I'm trying your method as above, can you please advise if I have the correct Custom classification setting selected here? As this isn't yet working for me. Thanks

property manager custom.JPG

Make sure your actual zones have the same 'space' classification, otherwise they will not be picked up for the calculations and will simply be ignored.

Barry

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks Barry, I have managed to enter ROUND to 2 but in my schedule it still have 4 decimal places?

property manager custom2.JPG

property manager custom3.JPG

 Is there also any way to add a % inside the cell next to number? ie 10.00%

Thanks

LisaG
Contributor

I'm trying to create 1 schedule to incorporate a number of factors but am really struggling to do this easily within Archicad.

I have 70 individual lots, for each lot I want a total site area, and then also want separate figures to show the building coverage, impervious area and landscaping areas. I would also like all of these to show as actual figures and next to them what they are as a percentage of each total lot area.

The explanation/s above are helpful for showing a total site with a measured area % from that total site amount. But when I have 70 lots/zones, how do I go about doing this without creating 70 different Expressions (assuming all my lots/zones are different area sizes)

I have managed to do a number of separate schedules to show all of the above, but then have to place them individually on a Layout Sheet and ensure they are lined up correctly with their corresponding Lot number (as below). My screenshot shows 4 separate schedules (with manually entered percentages). Which is not ideal and surely there must be a better way within Archicad (I don't really want to have to import/export from Excel either)

Is it best to use Zones for this or Fills? For some of these, I have multiple areas to combine and sum up (ie I might have 2 or 3 areas of landscaping to add together) so also not sure what is best to use to "merge" some things but not others

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Schedules query.JPG

The number of decimals could be from you Calculation Units in Project Preferences.

Or it could be the number of digits (2) in the equation.

Or maybe a combination of both?

I have not played around with this so am not sure.

If you look at my examples, I did not use any rounding.

No, you can not show units in the individual cells.

They will show in the totals if you are using the actual units (in my example they are just numbers, so have no units).

That is why I include the "%" in the header.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

An interesting problem which most give up on and just fill in a excel spreadsheet. i would say that the easiest method would be to use a Python script and create your spreadsheet externally , then copy/paste that as a image into your layout or plan. To do this automatically, you would have to enter the lot/zone relationships via some property/option or the user Id/class etc. in order to define what constitutes a lot, site, area of interest and what might be the parent (project site) and it's included lot(s)/associated areas.

You have not defined what is to be included in what, so I can't comment further.

As to your question, it is better to use zones as they can be classified and therefore contain properties. Fills can not contain properties but can be scheduled.

To use units in schedules you need to convert the expression to a string, but then you can not sum the column -- catch 22.

Expressions can only address the object which they are assigned to, so calculations involving enclosing areas are not possible except through a script.

All in all, a python script to create a external schedule in the format you need is a relatively easy fix, assuming you clearly define the zone relationships via some properties.  Of course, it could only be manually initiated. Real time updates are not possible.

I assume you don't want to go there, so a external excel schedule is, indeed, your best option, particularly if this is a "one of". If not, I would explore Python, you can get a lot of help here assuming you care to define your relationships. A screenshot would help.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Learn and get certified!