Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Adding ridges to mesh with magic wand doesn't work as expected - AC22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't produce good result using survey data with method described here:https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/85810/

My case is the same. Polylines with a lot of vertices that I want to reduce.

I use the same parameters for magic wand as described in help article.

But for some reason the result is different. The ridge is exactly the same as polyline.

BUT! If I make the segment length in magic wand settings SMALLER than the length of the polyline segments.

It produces the ridge with more vertices.

But I can't get the opposite result. I want to reduce the number of vertices in the resulting ridge. For some reason it seems that the tool divides only the segments that are smaller in length than in magic wand setting. It perfectly adds up new vertices, but does nothing to simplify the mesh.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
It works only with splines. Case closed.
Barry Kelly
You can increase the number of nodes as you have found but you can not decrease the number of nodes when you use the magic wand.
At a minimum, you will get the same number of nodes as the polyline that you are magic wanding.

Sorry, but you either need to reduce the number of nodes in the polyline before you magic wand it, or reduce the nodes in the mesh contour after you create it.

Rather than magic wanding you could just manually select a few nodes your self to create the mesh contour.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you are regularly creating terrains from 3D contours or survey points, it might be worth while investing in something like ArchiTerra which will create the entire mesh for you and it can do node reduction among other things.

There are two plugins of the same name, one by Cigraph and the other by Eptar. I am not sure if they are the same. I have used the Cigraph one.

Ling.

ps. If you have access to AutoCAD, there are also LISP options.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!