BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Adjustable shower hose

Bruce
Expert
I need help in figuring out the best way to script a shower hose for a part I’m making (refer attached image). Normally, I would just use the TUBE command; but in this object, the positions for both the hand piece cradle, and the wall connection, are adjustable.

I thought the new NURBS suite of commands may help, but after researching a bit, trying to decipher the GDL Reference Guide, and actually trying a couple of commands, I’m not so sure (couldn't get them to work).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
I would still use the TUBE command.
If you are using it now and can move one end then there is no reason why you couldn't make it move the other end as well.

The problem either way is that it will change the length of the hose so if it needs to be a set length you will need to adjust all the intermediate path nodes also.
If you are not fussy of the length then just adjust the end nodes (and of course the leading and trailing end co-ordinates.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Bruce
Expert
Thanks Barry. I was aware of those pointers, but that doesn't help with figuring out the drape of the hose. The wall connection can be higher or lower than the shower head. It can be close in or further way. It can be to the left or to the right.

What I'm really after is to get a TUBE to follow a NURBS path...but I don't think the new NURBS commands are up to that level of sophistication yet.

Do I mention that Revit could do this, or would that just be rude
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it be rude to mention that Cadimage have an object on the BIM Components portal that does this? Or are you trying to duplicate their one with a shower head of your choice?
(It does appear to be locked so maybe you don't have access to it)
Barry Kelly
It could be done if you like a bit of maths and you don't mind a very uniform curve to your hose.
You would need the centre point and radius of the drape curve which would be based on the distance apart of the inlet and outlet.
Then use sin and cos to plot points along the curve for your TUBE.
Of course you know the start and end points.

I have done it using REVOLVE for the curve and PRISM for the vertical tubes (prism rather than cylinders because you can control visibility of the ends.
Again a very uniform curve.

The advantage of the TUBE is it would be all one element.
I have used a tube for a more natural shape on a bath spout with shower outlet but I did not make it adjustable.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadimage managed it with an irregular curve and stretchy too, so it's possible
Shower.JPG
Bruce
Expert
@s2art: Not at all - that could be very helpful indeed (but I can't find it).

@Barry: Thanks for that. That gives me a direction for exploration. Cheers.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Bruce
Expert
I managed to get it working to my (90%) satisfaction. The key is using quadratic equations to plot the TUBE points - i.e. it's a parabolic arc.

Next time I'll do some research into B Splines, as I think you can better control the smoothness of the curve at the low point. The parabola is a bit too pointy for a hose.
2017-04-11_7-30-45.jpg
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Barry Kelly
I believe a 'cantenary' curve is more natural.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Good luck.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Bruce
Expert
Excellent. I didn't know the name - that's good to know. Thanks again Barry.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!