Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Alternatives to wall accessory add-on for wood framing

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working on a project with some wood framed walls and I've used the wall accessory add-on in the goodies pack to create wooden framework in the wall, it's not essential but it's nice to see the wood framework on the plans, have it follow window locations etc

The problem is that the lovely wood frame is very fragile. Quite often, the wooden frame will move slightly relative to the wall it's attached to (manageable but annoying) or just disappear entirely (quite annoying). If there is any other element touching the wall, (something crazy like, a gutter downpipe) the framework cannot be generated, or disappears. Sometimes just moving the framework to a different layer makes it disappear, but not consistently. Quite often I don't even know what's happened, but I discover some or all of the framework has disappeared when I wasn't looking. The add-on doesn't work with complex profiles, so every time the framework disappears, I have to change the wall to composite, change the height, re-create the framework then set it back as it should be. This wouldn't be a big deal but after the 20th time, it's getting old.

So my question is, is there a better way to automatically create a wooden framework within a wall, maybe using the curtain wall tool? Do other people use the wall accessory add-on, am I doing something silly that's making it misbehave?
7 REPLIES 7
felcunha
Expert
Hello,
I've seen people using the CW tool with quite satisfying results...
Hope it helps
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response, I'm having a little play, it doesn't seem like the curtain wall can be cut by a window unless I'm missing something?

edit: the beauty of the wall accessory add-on is that it follows the wall, positions of windows etc - while i can replicate the same result with a curtain wall, it takes many times longer, is mostly manual and, well, I'm not seeing an advantage over just drawing the framework manually... at least i know now.
felcunha wrote:
Hello,
I've seen people using the CW tool with quite satisfying results...
Hope it helps
I have seen people pretending like the CW tool works for this. I don't think is works very well at all for this. Too many variables and complications for most projects. Just model it useing pre-modeled assemblies that you just tweak as necessary for different openings. No point in doing this with out the interactive schedules.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you take a look at the add-on ArchiFrame?

https://www.archiframe.fi/en/in-brief
DGSketcher
Legend
Steve wrote:
I have seen people pretending like the CW tool works for this. I don't think is works very well at all for this. Too many variables and complications for most projects.
I'm mildly offended.
I'm drawing up bespoke timber frame kits on a regular basis using the CW tool. Having said that we are building to a panellised system which has allowed the establishment of framing modules in favourites. The secret is to establish modules e.g. formed openings and basic panels which can be placed together, stretched to size and quickly edited in the scheme layout. I guess it depends what you want at the end and what fits your workflow.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
GordoSan wrote:
Did you take a look at the add-on ArchiFrame?

https://www.archiframe.fi/en/in-brief
I have demoed that program before and at that time saw nothing it could do that that I was not already doing without it. Also, I didn't see anything that I needed to do differently than I am already doing it. Framing Diagrams and such are not something I do for every project. It is something I only do when there are some very unique circumstances. Somewhere on this forum, I have examples posted.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

DGSketcher wrote:
Steve wrote:
I have seen people pretending like the CW tool works for this. I don't think is works very well at all for this. Too many variables and complications for most projects.
I'm mildly offended.
I'm drawing up bespoke timber frame kits on a regular basis using the CW tool. Having said that we are building to a panellised system which has allowed the establishment of framing modules in favourites. The secret is to establish modules e.g. formed openings and basic panels which can be placed together, stretched to size and quickly edited in the scheme layout. I guess it depends what you want at the end and what fits your workflow.

Yes. There is never only one way to skin a cat. And it is not because I don't know how to use the program that I prefer to model wood framing with pre-modeled assemblies, copy and paste from other projects, objects, etc... instead of using the "Tools" which are almost always insufficient in some way and can be frustrating to learn and use. Also, any time I model the framing it is for the sake of the Interactive Schedules - not for the Carpenter who usually has no use whatsoever for Framing Diagrams. When I make Framing Diagrams it is more for use with Project Management functions, budgeting, purchase orders, construction and fabrication schedules, etc...
As with everything we model with ArchiCAD, how we model it depends very much on what we need to do with it.