Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Annoying Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread is for those things Archicad does that during the daily grind makes one clench their teeth.

This is not meant to be a wish list, but a place to tell the devs what where and how Archicad causes frustration while using it (and maybe a place where "bad" behavior can be explained if there is a reason for it).
52 REPLIES 52
This is annoying to me. The beam angle settings need to have Pitch, not just Degree.

I can't always remember what the degree of the roof pitch is.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Have you tried setting this option in the Work Environment?
This image is from 17 but it is in other versions too.Barry.
Thanks, Barry. This helps - up to a point!

It doesn't work for DWGs - Archicad still wants to close my current session if I try to open a consultant's drawing.
And, since, every drawing now opens in a new session (without asking), clearly I've got to be careful I don't end up with too many multiple copies running simultaneously.

I would still prefer to have to options in the 'File Drop-Down' viz:

Open (with option to open recent file)
Open a New Session (also with option to open recent file)

Can but wish!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Have you tried dragging and dropping DWG files into your active project? They should come in as linked drawings, not XREFs, so no pesky attributes invading your project.

I either do that or use the autodesk trueview thing, new ArchiCAD sessions tend to take a while to boot up here.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone know why the 3D view window doesnt have a set of icons in the corner to easily change view and sun settings, as in Revit and most other 3D applications?

As it is you need to click through several windows just to change sun direction or change camera to isometric.

There are way too many examples of these kind of simple user interface inefficiencies that ArchiCad needs to sort out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's another one that p***es me off!

When you go to intersect 2 walls or 2 lines, but fail to select one of them, Archicad tells you that you need to select 2 elements.

Fair enough - so you hit Escape to cancel the message, but it doesn't go away. Unlike any other error messages in any other program, there's no 'cancel' button. You have to go and click on 'Continue'.

A small thing, admittedly, but it's always the small things ......!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Keith wrote:
Fair enough - so you hit Escape to cancel the message, but it doesn't go away. Unlike any other error messages in any other program, there's no 'cancel' button. You have to go and click on 'Continue'.
You can use the Return key to dismiss the warning, and the element remains selected, so you just need to select the second element to continue the operation. The Continue button is dark (like an OK button), so this seems logical to me.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
You can use the Return key to dismiss the warning, and the element remains selected, so you just need to select the second element to continue the operation. The Continue button is dark (like an OK button), so this seems logical to me.
Ah but I'd have to let go of my mouse to hit the Return key!

The Escape key is much handier, and there's no reason why the element shouldn't remain selected after hitting Escape to cancel the warning.
nusha
Newcomer
Ever since I updated to Archicad 18 - I have this annoying problem: when i click on the element instead of just selecting it's being dragged until I press ESC key (I'm on a Mac). Also the shortcut of SHIFT+click to deselect doesn't work. Is there anything new in 18 I don't know about that does this? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong topic, but I really need help with this because id drives me crazy...
Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a fine new addition in ArchiCAD 17 where you can draw 3D elements from any point on existing objects and the new element is placed on that height level that you draw on. This worked for slabs, walls, beams, and other 3D objects.
On ArchiCAD 18 it does work for most tools but not for wall. Walls are placed on different height than where I draw them.
See example of the problem on the image below - I start drawing a wall on a slabs edge and when i finish the wall is placed somewhere higher.
Is it some setting I do not know or a bug? Can someone help me for this?
wall18.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have another problem with ArchiCAD 18, and I hope it doesn't repeat to the next releases too
When I need to export a part of my model to 3DS I usually open the selected parts in the 3D view and save them as 3DS file. This always worked fine on all ArchiCAD versions and only the objects seen in the 3D window are converted to the 3DS file.
When I try this on ArchiCAD 18 it does not work. 3DS file saved from the 3D window contains more objects than visible in the 3D window. Sometimes the whole model gets exported instead of the shown selection in 3D. Sometimes it works well when I open in 3D the same selection a number of times.
This is really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. Can someone help me?
I wrote the same post in the "Exchange" section but may be here it will get more attention.