BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Annoying Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread is for those things Archicad does that during the daily grind makes one clench their teeth.

This is not meant to be a wish list, but a place to tell the devs what where and how Archicad causes frustration while using it (and maybe a place where "bad" behavior can be explained if there is a reason for it).
52 REPLIES 52
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
gpowless wrote:
My biggest beef is when placing objects,columns, walls or slabs only to find that the place storey is offset one or two storeys. Having to place an object twice slows the CD process down by 1/3.

The default storey of any object should be fixed at the current storey when it is first selected. If a user wants to move the object then and only then should they decide to open the object dialog and change the storey.
Just FYI that you can change the home story easily, by opening the settings, copying the elevation to project zero, changing the home story, then pasting the elevation back in.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
Have you considered moving to Sketchup?

It's sometimes to easy to slate GS for what in the big scheme of things are just petty frustrations on a truly exceptional expert system. Yes it's not perfect but I don't see anything else out there to tempt me away and AC becomes more useable with each release.

We would all love a system free of bugs that did our job for us but the reality of human errors in the programming will always be a factor until Skynet takes over.

The point of this thread is to let the devs know areas of the software that are particularly frustrating to use so they get a heads up on areas that detract from the use of it.

I use Archicad to make money, have no desire to drop AC for Sketchup. But since I use AC day in and day out all day long, I really would like for as many as these frustrating areas to go away.
gpowless
Advocate
Just FYI that you can change the home story easily, by opening the settings, copying the elevation to project zero, changing the home story, then pasting the elevation back in.

Cheers,
Link.
Tried that. It keeps reverting back to various stories based on the project zero.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Eduardo Rolon
Another procedure to change object stories is to "right click" and select "Relink to …"
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

DGSketcher
Legend
zeropointreference wrote:
The point of this thread is to let the devs know areas of the software that are particularly frustrating to use so they get a heads up on areas that detract from the use of it.
Yes I sort of get that but it also looks like a list of complaints suggesting AC isn't fit for purpose! Surely the wishlist section would be more appropriate for most of these points so they can be voted on and addressed individually. This thread is already becoming fractured with solutions to different complaints.

I'm not saying your sentiments are not founded just there are possibly better ways to address your concerns.

Have you considered taking the points up directly with your dealer as another option?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
My first annoying behavior is one I run into many many many times every time I use Archicad and this is my #1 most hated Archicad behavior.

When I select a group of objects to move to another location, when I select a node it automatically selects a deform command instead of the drag command. 9999 times out of 10000 times I do this I'm looking to drag my group of objects. Once in a blue moon I might need to have multiple objects selected to see a deformation take place but it's almost never.

Everytime I use Archicad this comes up many times each session. It slows me down, adds thinking effort to solve each time which adds to mental fatigue, and it's illogical. Or at least I have yet to find a compelling reason (or any reason) why a deformation command should be default instead of the drag command.
There is an easy way to avoid this, use the Drag keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+D) to initiate the drag command, you then don't have to worry about which pet palette option is active. This also means that if you do want to repeat a previous pet palette action it will be remembered after the drag rather than having to activate it again.

Typically your left hand will already be sitting in this corner of the keyboard so the shortcut takes minimal time to activate, in fact you can usually press it while you are moving your mouse to the hotspot you want to drag from.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
My second most annoying behavior is any box that pops up, especially the layer settings box. It seems I'm resizing them and repositioning them too often.

I figure that the box's position is stored with the profile but something is resetting them.

But how those pop up windows are handled besides just frustrates me. Like I can't hit a maximize button to make boxes like layers, or the object setting dialog box full screen in one click instead of having to repositioning the box and hovering twice over the edges to resize.
For me the position of Dialog boxes is stored and restored properly when I again activate them.
I you experience that position of Dialog boxes is not remembered by the program, you should report that to your reseller as a bug. The only time I think this can happen is when you activate another Work Environment Profile or Palette Scheme in the Work Environment Dialog. But if it is happening for another reason that is a bug in my opinion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
A third annoying behavior is the interface design of boxes like the settings dialog box. The paradigm of using the collapsing what ever they're called and the box itself following the movement of those collapsing tabs on wide screen monitors is no less than painful.

I'm constantly fiddling with this in a bad way. I would much much much much much much much much rather positioning and preview thingy stay open and the other scrolling tabs are handled as tabs that can be easily switched between in the space under the positioning and preview area. I rarely need to have two of those open (as in I can never remember even once I need two open at the same time). But the CONSTANT unnecessary fiddling with is annoying.
This is something I too find frustrating. When I open the various panels of a Dialog the height of the Dialog constantly changes. This is especially frustrating when I open the Parameters (Custom Settings) panel of the Object Settings Dialog, then resize the Dialog down so I see many parameter. Then I switch to another panel, which closes or compresses the Parameters (Custom Settings) panel since now they cannot all fit vertically. Then when I again open the Parameters panel, it is again sized back to its default vertical size and I again have to resize the Dialog vertically so I can see enough parameters for my purposes.
I think ArchiCAD would have to try to resize itself to the largest size that I specified by resizing. This way when only the Parameters (Custom Settings) panel open it would return to the large size I previously specified.

But I don't know how useful a maximize button for Settings Dialogs would be. I mean when any Settings Dialog is maximized, on my screen they would become 1920 pixels wide so I would have to look to the left side of the screen to see what field I want to modify, then look to the right side of the screen to modify the field. Sound like something that potentially can waste a lot of time.
Much easier to just resize the Dialog to the size I need (of course with the program remembering those sizes the next time I open the Dialog - which my copy does).

I also agree with when DGSketcher that these should become individual wishlist items. Some people may agree with you on some items and disagree on others. If we could vote on each it would be clearly visible which ones many of us consider important issues.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
perhaps it is my settings somewhere, but I am continually frustrated that snap points are not showing up when I need them. I don't like having to find a place on what I am wanting to see snap points on that will make them show up, and then racing to try and hit it before it disappears.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
perhaps it is my settings somewhere, but I am continually frustrated that snap points are not showing up when I need them. I don't like having to find a place on what I am wanting to see snap points on that will make them show up, and then racing to try and hit it before it disappears.
Yes this is frustrating, its like the sensitivity knob needs to to be turned up a bit.
Learn and get certified!