BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Anyone having trouble with Cursor Snap Variants in AC 17?

Chris Hough
Booster
We've been using Archicad 14 as our last production version, but have recently upgraded the whole office to v17. However, we've only begun to start tentatively using it on actual projects. One thing I am finding puzzling about it right now is the "Cursor Snap Variants" in the Control Box. These are designed to allow you to draw a line with a non-perpendicular reference direction once you constrain the line (after you've started to draw it- you can then "snap" the other end relative to a point horizontal, vertical, or angled.) I find it a very useful drafting tool, in particular for working on roof planes of unusual design.

Only thing is, in the latest version of AC 17, the palettes remain grayed out, even once the "shift" key is pressed. Wouldn't surprise me if there isn't some hidden or new option that turns this on and off, but honestly I'm hoping someone here knows the trick and can save me hours of researching or hunting down all the places something like this might have been hidden. Or it might even be a legitimate bug.

Anyone else having problems with this? It's possible that this was something that changed in v15 or 16 that we just aren't aware of, having bypassed those versions altogether.
Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
You are correct that it doesn't seem to work since version 15.
It is still mentioned in the Help files though.

More info in the next post.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
I noticed in the 15 Work Environment that there are 'new' commands for the cursor snap variants.
These still don't work on there own but if you add in the 'Cursor Snap Variants' control then these will become active when you press that (see image in next post).

Barry.
cursor_mouse_constraints_WE.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
I also noticed there is a shortcut 'SHIFT+Q' that can be used instead of setting up a new toolbar.

So instead of just "SHIFT' press 'SHIFT+Q' and you will be able to select the snap variant you want.
Or just keep pressing 'SHIFT+Q' and it will cycle through all 3 variants.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Chris Hough
Booster
Barry:

Thank you for the detailed reply- you rock sir! The Shift Q works just fine and is probably the easiest solution.

GRAPHISOFT: REALLY?!? 3 versions (since 15??) and you STILL hadn't fixed a simple issue like this? I know it's not a major bug, but the fix can't be THAT hard. Tsk, tsk....
Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
Learn and get certified!