Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Applying profiles to Curtain Walls - Creating a perimeter of outwards-sloped curtain walls

e0407278
Contributor

Hello!

My team is trying to replicate an existing building (Jin Mao Tower - China) as part of a school assignment but everybody seems to be stumped and nobody has a solution... (including our teaching assistants)

Hoping some experienced big brains from the community are able to assist or offer insight on how we should approach this problem!

---

1. It's possible to create a perimeter of walls that are all vertically sloped outwards using the profile manager by creating a custom profile. Our building requires this similar profile to be applied onto curtain walls instead (for the transoms and mullions).

photo_2022-02-14_12-35-40.jpg

But ---- profiles can't be applied to Curtain Walls..!

Is there a way for us to achieve the effect in this above screenshot but on curtain walls instead??

photo_2022-02-14_12-35-41.jpg

In the photo above: Trying to replicate the outwards-slanted profile with profiles on Curtain Walls.

For context, this is the building we're trying to model, and there are some parts of the facade that are outwards-slanted, which has stumped us. 

jin mao elevation.jpg

The floor planes are not exactly aligned from one floor to the next - resulting in certain Curtain Walls having to slant outwards along the z-axis and x-axis. Is there a way in Archicad to create a 'loft' (like in sketchup) between two floors?

sloped outwards.jpg

Photo Above: This is a massing model created in sketchup, all the colored surfaces are sloping outwards.

slants_example.jpg

Photo Above: The parts of the building with sloped faces.

Bottom: This is what we have so far: 

We created a vertical curtain wall, and manually adjusted its shape to fit the floor plate. But this way, the mullions of the sloped/curved ones do not align with the vertical ones, and it's horribly tedious to do.

photo_2022-02-14_12-47-55.jpg

Could anyone please offer some insight on how we could create these sloped curtain walls?

I have attached the file for anyone interested to look into this.

Archicad 25 EDU Jin Mao Tower Progress.pln  

Screenshot_4.jpg

Thank you!

Weng Yew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Try the following steps and let me know.

CW Step-1.png

CW Step-2.png

CW Step-3.png

CW Step-4.png

CW Step-6.png

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Something like this?

2022-02-14.png

Rajesh Patil
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

Yes, something like that! Thank you so much Rajesh for the response.

We first intended to do up the walls on a quadrant of floor plate, then mirror it to form a perimeter.

plan curtain.jpg

Although if the profiles work we'd like to create a continuous perimeter as opposed to mirroring.

May I ask what approach did you take to create that form and if it's able to be applied on the entire perimeter of the plan repeatedly on multiple instances?

Solution
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Try the following steps and let me know.

CW Step-1.png

CW Step-2.png

CW Step-3.png

CW Step-4.png

CW Step-6.png

Rajesh Patil
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

The next steps for You:
What You should know about the computer-performance in such situations with that many needed faces in 3D:

GDL-Objects (library-parts) "perform" normally much faster than such complex constructions in their original as crutain-wall objects or as morphs. 

If You have your whole part made with Rajesh Patil's advice - make a copy of it to save the original and save it as new library-part. Then insert the new element in the many places where you want it to occur. This should give you a lot of important screen setup time. Try it for Yourself.

The other advantage would be that later, when making changes, you would only have to change the original - save a copy of it again under the name of the previous part and you would have changed all such parts.

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

Thank you Rajesh,

This allowed us to align the joints for the bottom of the slanted CWs. The next problem would be aligning the joints from the slanted CW to the Straight ones. As you can see the when i did perimeter function the straight CW gets offset from the bottom of the slanted CW.

e0420518_0-1644824914998.png

e0420518_2-1644825057021.png

Yes! Your video definitely is useful; We will be looking into how to convert our different objects into library parts and try to reuse them. Really loving the fast and helpful support from all of you, looks like Graphisoft has a great community here!

Though, thank you for letting us know about the Split Curtain Wall tool!

Really cut down the time we used on creating the perimeter facade, although there's still the alignment issue.

ryejuan
Advisor

also don't forget to hotlink those typical floors it will save you time as well. 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

We are facing a problem which is aligning the joints of the slanted CW to the Straight ones. As you can see the when we did perimeter function the straight CW gets offset from the bottom of the slanted CW.