Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arched / Curved Roof

JPL_DESIGN_GUY
Newcomer
I am trying to create a curved roof line for the first time and could really use a little help.....PLEASE
I can draw a barrel vault roof with the shell tool but I can't seem to figure out how to draw a curved roof line that doesn't begin and end on the same plane. I will try to attach a PDF (from autoCAD) of what I am trying to draw.
Thanks!
John Lanner, CGP
Sr. Design Consultant
Beaver Mountain Log Homes
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
In a situation like that, instead of shells, I'd consider using the Complex Profile tool drawn using a curved wall since it can deliver absolute editability, detail and accuracy.

The process is to draw the actual roof section in the building section window, fill it and copy the fill to the Complex Profile edit window.
Dwight Atkinson
JPL_DESIGN_GUY,
Keep in mind that how you model something with ArchiCAD depends on what you need to use the model for.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dwight
Newcomer
Steve wrote:
JPL_DESIGN_GUY,
Keep in mind that how you model something with ArchiCAD depends on what you need to use the model for.
For instance?
Dwight Atkinson
The idea that you would model something in ArchiCAD one way or the other depending on what you want to do with the model seem intuitive to me.

It depends on so many variables that it would be too exhausting to try and describe them all.

Here are just a few catagoies that each have many reasons to model things in various ways:

Interactive Schedules, Design Process, Templates, Layer Management, Export to Other Programs, TeamWork, File formats, Layer Combinations, View Sets, Xrefs,Modules, Energy Calc's...

In this case, I see that John is making a roof for a log home. ? At some point, he will wish he had modeled this roof in such a way that he can quantify the various components. If that is the case, he may want to model the roof as individual parts so he can get them into useful interactive schedules. Depending on what he wants in the schedules will depend on how he models the building. There will even be choices to make about modeling something as a slab or mesh, morph, shell, custom objects, etc... lots of choices, all of which depend on how he intends to use the model.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25