Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arched Window Headers

Anonymous
Not applicable
For years I have been having the same problem when using a window with an arched header, in 3D the external wall material floods into the arch between the bottom of the header and the top of the window. This does not look right and despite requesting a fix nothing has happened. Does anyone else have the same problem, if so is there an easy option?
15 REPLIES 15
Peter wrote:
Hi John,

It looks like there needs to be a new adjustable arched top window where the arch extends right through to the inside of the wall, and the infill piece forms part of the frame and is the same thickness. I've attached a real-life example I've encountered in an old farmhouse recently. I presume this is similar to the type of construction you require.

I think it would also be useful to be able to adjust the radius of the top curve on the other arch topped windows too. Not all are semi-circular in reality.

One way you could work around the limitation at the moment is to cut away the incorrect piece of wall above the window with a hidden complex profiled beam SEOed away from the wall, and then manually add in another piece of shaped beam to infill the gap again with the correct materials applied.

I need one of those, too. The SEO is not quite ok to use.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Hobbesnb
Booster
Anyone know if this was ever fixed? Or has anyone with more GDL knowledge than I created a fix? I've got a lot of windows like this in a building and am worried the SEO load on my processor is going to make life difficult.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Resurrecting another thread and wondering if there is a window that resolves this problem (arched timber to the head of the window)?
Lingwisyer
Guru
You could possibly use an Arch Top Window and set the transom to be a solid panel in the same material as your frame. The down side of this is the limited window configurations available with the window type. You could also set your top frame to be the width of the widest part of the curve, then put a standalone Masonry Arch Segmental over that, though I figure that this might mess up things when you try to schedule your windows.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ling, I'm surprised that it's not been addressed yet as it's a common feature for us to have to draw/model.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Might be something to request from your local distributor as it maybe a common feature where you are, but not where the ArchiCAD development is based. I have not really delved into my distributors library, nor have I got access to the CADImage library, so there might be other solutions there.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660