Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arched cut-out

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I am trying to re-create what we once modeled in Microstation now in Archicad. My only question (and i've been trying to do this for awhile now) is how can i make an arch here (first picture) to reflect this model? (second picture) I have tried downloaded "empty arch openings" but they're always the same size and height and I cannot edit them. I could do a simple SEO but i don't know how to create a wall + curved top to use to"subtract" in the SEO.

Any ideas? I know there is a simple way to do it, creating an arch in a rudimentry task, but i'm not sure how to in ARCHICAD and searching has not led me to anything.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the second picture, what we have modeled in microstation
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would create a glass material slab in the shape/thickness of the arch that you want, convert it to a morph, and rotate it upright 90 degrees and proceed with the SEO operation you were referring to.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Isaac:

Assuming that the element you need to place the arch in is a Wall: use the Arch Top Door Opening 19 Door (in the Openings 19 folder in the Object Library 19). Set both the door height and Opening Arch Height to be the same (so there is only arch, no vertical sides).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Isaac,

I think the best way to do that is placing Arch Top Window Opening from windows list. Just set shoulder height to 0, set same value to Window Height and Opening Arc Height and set the width as you need. You can also increase Curve Resolution for more smooth arc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't like the way the door/window openings look myself so I would use an SEO so you get an smooth looking arch and not a segmented arch. I would use a shell, curve it to the arch you want, and then do and SEO subtraction with downward extrusion.

I might also do a complex profile SEO. Just go to that elevation, draw the arch in lines how you want it, cut and paste into a complex profile, extrude, place the profile and do the SEO. What's nice about this way of doing this is you can swap out complex profiles on the fly and it makes it easy to show it this way or that way with profile management.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mbeam wrote:
I don't like the way the door/window openings look myself so I would use an SEO so you get an smooth looking arch and not a segmented arch. I would use a shell, curve it to the arch you want, and then do and SEO subtraction with downward extrusion.

I might also do a complex profile SEO. Just go to that elevation, draw the arch in lines how you want it, cut and paste into a complex profile, extrude, place the profile and do the SEO. What's nice about this way of doing this is you can swap out complex profiles on the fly and it makes it easy to show it this way or that way with profile management.
You can increase window resolution for smoothness.
I prefer window because I avoid placing additional elements and apply SEO, if library elements are enough. The project become heavier with any additional morph, I guess.

In case of complex profile the circular parts have small resolution and you cannot increase it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rammstein wrote:

How do you increase the resolution?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
mbeam wrote:
Rammstein wrote:
How do you increase the resolution?
Window Settings > Opening Settings > Window Opening... > Curve Resolution (similar setting for Door also).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14