BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 10 for Intel Mac is out now

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
ArchiCAD 10 for Intel Mac is out now. Please check out:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/IntelMac/
You can find details about the product in the Questions and Answers section:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/IntelMac/Questions/

This version comes on a separate CD - please get in touch with your local Archicad reseller
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
45 REPLIES 45
KenMcN
Contributor
Unfortunately it seems that the V10 Intel Wibu driver does not support V9. In other words, if you want to use the 'proper' V10 on a Mactel you cannot also run V9. You need to stick with the PPC flavour of both versions (which GS does not support as it relies on Rosetta ).

Given that the recommended strategy seems to be to finish off jobs in the version you start them in, this is clearly going to be an issue for most people that buy one of the new Macs and have been using Archicad for some time.

I don't expect GS to produce a universal binary for v9, but I do expect to be able to use both V9 and the current release of V10 on the Intel machines.

Graphisoft, please try to get this fixed asap!
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
__archiben
Booster
KenMcN wrote:
Graphisoft, please try to get this fixed asap!
i'm not sure who's 'fault' it is (GS or WIBU?) . . . but there was a WIBU driver that could be downloaded from WIBU's website (5.10.500 maybe? i forget) that will let you fire up both AC9 and 10. i think that this particular WIBU driver is a PPC version, so the start-up time for AC is slightly slower than when using a native intel WIBU driver . . . but i recall it seemed to work . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
KenMcN
Contributor
~/archiben wrote:
I'm not sure who's 'fault' it is (GS or WIBU?) . . . but there was a WIBU driver that could be downloaded from WIBU's website (5.10.500 maybe? i forget) that will let you fire up both AC9 and 10. i think that this particular WIBU driver is a PPC version, so the start-up time for AC is slightly slower than when using a native intel WIBU driver . . . but i recall it seemed to work . . .
Ben
I agree it is probably Wibu's fault, I just want GS to persuade them to fix it...

Did the driver you mention work with the Intel V10 or just the PPC? I can live with a longer startup, I just want the performance gains that the Intel processor should give me. I can try it tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Thanks for your help.
__archiben
Booster
KenMcN wrote:
Did the driver you mention work with the Intel V10 or just the PPC?
it launched both. this was back after the first intel beta was made public - b16 in think. i haven't tried with any of the later versions: i'm exclusively in 10 now . . .

here's the link:

http://wibu.com/download_user.php

try the "up to 10.2.x - incl. classic installer" one . . .

hope it still works.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
KenMcN
Contributor
No luck I'm afraid.

I've tried various drivers from both the Wibu and Graphisoft sites and can still only run either the Intel V10 or PPC v9/10 - not Intel v10 & PPC v9.

Unfortunately, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like we will not be able to use 10 natively on any new machines while we still have projects on 9.

As we have 20 Archicad licences and jobs at varying stages of development this is likely to be a significant problem for some time to come unless Graphisoft/Wibu solve it by releasing a driver that can support v9 under rosetta.

Thanks anyway for your efforts Ben, much appreciated.
If anyone else can tell me they are using Intel v10 & PPC v9 I'd love to hear how you have managed it.
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
BTW:
after first tests - AC on Mactel is working faster in 2D than on WinXP on the same machine (Macbook Pro). Nice!
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
__archiben
Booster
KenMcN wrote:
No luck I'm afraid.
sorry about that ken. i've just dipped back into the beta forum and re-read the discussion we had about it there . . . it was definitely the v5.0 "up to OSX 10.2" drivers that allowed me to launch both. it also seems we should be able to launch intel/archicad 10 and PPC/archicad 9 with the latest driver. (but never intel/archicad 10 and PPC/archicad 10 from the same driver).

i'm following it up . . .
Rafal wrote:
... after first tests - AC on Mactel is working faster in 2D than on WinXP on the same machine (Macbook Pro). Nice!
isn't it?! i'm finding some people still being sceptical as to how good it is rather than actually acknowledge it as such!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
KenMcN
Contributor
~/archiben wrote:
. . . it was definitely the v5.0 "up to OSX 10.2" drivers that allowed me to launch both
That's one of the drivers I haven't tried (didn't think about going back that far). I'll try again tomorrow if I get a chance.
Thanks again.
Kenny
KenMcN
Contributor
Ben
I've just tried the driver you mentioned (even followed all the instructions!) but unfortunately it didn't work.
Here's hoping GS/Wibu can find a solution to this asap.
Kenny
Learn and get certified!