BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 17 crashing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone.

I have a problem with certain projects.I am working on a certain project and that project suddenly crashes.When it crashes it can no longer be opened on any computers except for one in my office.Everytime I try to open that project on any other computer I get a bug report error screen.I have the .lck file in my project folder,sometimes it even asks me to open as read only or with exclusive access.But still it just crashes.I can't open backup files either,I get the same error.Now what I don't understand is why can I open those files on just one computer,which is even older and with weaker config than the others,and I cannot open them on other computers?And what if I didn't have that one computer,would I have to do everything from scratch?

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
JaredBanks
Mentor
It sounds like it might be an OS issue. If the computer that can open the files okay has an older operating system, that machine might be the only computer with an OS that's officially compatible with ARCHICAD 17. ARCHICAD 17 is only supported up through Windows 8.1:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/archicad17.html

Are the better machines on Windows 10?

Here's my larger thoughts on operating systems, ARCHICAD versions, computers, and the unyielding upgrade cycle of all of them:

http://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-15/new-archicad-new-windows-os-new-mac-os-repeat
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

thank you for the fast answer.All newer computers have Windows 7 Home Premium and that computer that can run files which crashed have Windows 7 Home Basic.But I can run all other files and projects on all computers,I cannot open only files that crash at some point.Not all of them even crash.Maybe 5 or 6 projects crashed out of 100.But lately it started to happen more and I don't understand why it started happening because I've worked for 3 years without problems,this started happening maybe 6 months ago.
JaredBanks
Mentor
That is super weird. Maybe it's something to do with the difference between Windows 7 basic and Windows 7 home?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ARCHICAD 17 (and later versions) have the "Open & Repair File" checkbox in the Open File Dialog. try to use it and see if that helps with the file.

If that does not help, then maybe you could try to open the file on one of those other systems in Safe Mode (start Windows 7 in Safe Mode). If you can then open the file then there may be some service or driver that is interfering with the file.
But in any case, that file seems like it has big problems. I would probably try to do the forward merge method as detailed here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=973
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

@JaredBanks I thought of the same thing when you said that it could be an OS issue,but I couldn't find anything about the difference between those two except some network features.I also couldn't find anything on Graphisoft site about the difference with running ArchiCAD on those two versions or anywhere else.

@laszlonagy I can't seem to find "Open and Repair File" checkbox anywhere.I've had some cases where ArchiCAD itself offered me that option,but I cannot find how to do it manually on Win7.I would appreciate it if you could explain to me how to do it or send me a screenshot.As for starting that file in safe mode,I didn't have any luck,it just crashed during opening the file again and I got the bug report window again.Forward merge doesn't help me because elevations for buildings don't copy right and that is the part of the project that takes away the most time,almost 1/3 of the time of the whole project.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Use the File\Open\Open... menu command.
In the Open Dialog, below the list of files there should be a "Open & Repair Selected File" checkbox. You should check it before clicking the Open button.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

thank you for the screenshot.I have tried the option "Open and Repair File",but with no success.It happens again,I try to open a file,it starts opening and at some point it just crashes and gives me the bug report window.The problem is that I can't even assume what the problem might be because the file worked fine for 2-3 weeks and then just crashed and the rest you know.And the bigger problem is that it started happening on more files as I said before.Do you laszlonagy maybe know any known issues between ArchiCAD 17 and Windows 7 Home Premium? Because the files work on Windows 7 Home Basic as I also said before.
Barry Kelly
Do you have the latest build for Archicad installed? - build 8000 I believe for version 17.

Also is your Windows OS up to date.
There was an issue last November (which has been fixed) where a Windows 7 update caused Archicad to crash.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=248728&highlight=windows+update+crash#248728

It is probably not related but may be wise to check all is up to date.
Also check you video drivers are up to date.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Mag wrote:
Do you laszlonagy maybe know any known issues between ArchiCAD 17 and Windows 7 Home Premium? Because the files work on Windows 7 Home Basic as I also said before.
I don't think there should be any problem between Home Basic and Home Premium.
But if it is two different machines then there could be other things different on the two systems: hardware components, drivers, installed applications.
If you start you system in Safe Mode, does the problem still occur in the ARCHICAD file? In safe mode a lot of drivers are not installed, so there may be less things that could interfere with ARCHICAD.
Learn and get certified!