BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 18 announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Find the official announcement and new features at:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/archicad-18/overview/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
152 REPLIES 152
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please guys, let us know your thoughts, impressions about the new release in this thread.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Autodesk - start your photocopiers!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am assuming lightworks is ditched in favour of the C4D rendering engine? I am assuming this is built into archicad? I have only just started to get the hang of artlantis as well

I like the revision manager thing - and hope that you can link a drawings issue sheet into this .

Other than it looks likes a fairly small upgrade - I hope some there are lots of small enhancements in other areas. Like stairs!
Barry Kelly
Lennox wrote:
I am assuming lightworks is ditched in favour of the C4D rendering engine? I am assuming this is built into archicad? I have only just started to get the hang of artlantis as well
Yes Lightworks has gone and C4D is built in.

Lennox wrote:
I like the revision manager thing - and hope that you can link a drawings issue sheet into this .
Yes you will be able to have drawing issue sheets.
Lennox wrote:
Other than it looks likes a fairly small upgrade - I hope some there are lots of small enhancements in other areas. Like stairs!
I guess it des seem like a fairly small upgrade if you don't do renderings or need the revision management.
But these are quite bi improvements in their own right.

Unfortunately no changes to the stairs that I know of.
But there are a few smaller features.
One I can think of is editing multiple elements at once.
i.e. slab edge, wall reference line and roof pivot line all align with each other.
Select all three and edit the perimeter as if it was all one element in either plan or 3D.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I like the new rendering features as this is a major pull for clients and will save us looking for (or me nagging the bosses for) a bolt on/ additional software. But I wonder if some of the standard objects stand up to this enhanced render quality???

I do have reservations on the revision tool, especially as this is not automatic. Doesn't seem to (at first glance) force you to publish to layout. This was implied but only as pdf - This should be pdf and dwg! Also there seem not information on layouts that do not carry save changes in revision 2 but has changes in revision 3. Will these layouts skip revision 2???

So for me the only WOW is the render unless there is a Gem hidden in the small changes that Barry mentioned
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Lennox wrote:
Lennox,
My impression is that the Cinema 4D Engine is quite a big feature, if you consider all that needed to be improved/modified/developed for its integration, so it works seamlessly with Building Materials, Surfaces, GDL and ArchiCAD Light objects etc.
I also find the Revision Management solution quite comprehensive.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
tlodge wrote:
I do have reservations on the revision tool, especially as this is not automatic. Doesn't seem to (at first glance) force you to publish to layout. This was implied but only as pdf - This should be pdf and dwg! Also there seem not information on layouts that do not carry save changes in revision 2 but has changes in revision 3. Will these layouts skip revision 2???

So for me the only WOW is the render unless there is a Gem hidden in the small changes that Barry mentioned
Revisions are Layout-specific: if a Layout was not affected in a certain Revision then its Revision number will not increase. So for example, you might have Layouts that have 1 or 2 revisions, while others may have 5, 6 or more, just any number. It is calculated Layout by Layout.

Can you please explain a bit what you mean by the following?
tlodge wrote:
Doesn't seem to (at first glance) force you to publish to layout. This was implied but only as pdf - This should be pdf and dwg!
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
tlodge wrote:

mate, the revision tool complies with PAS1192 guidelines and is fully automatic however it still allows the user to correct its output if needed by an interactive way. So manual skipping, excluding or including revisions/issues is possible. Also this feature includes automated renaming of published documents based on auto text so e.g. you will be able to attach a revision ID to the file name of each published document automatically. I reckon this alone will save you a lot of tedious fiddling with file names when communicating with consultants. And of cause all is visible in new Issue History and Change List schedules... So far this is the most comprehensive revisions tool I have ever seen in any AEC software.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Can you please explain a bit what you mean by the following?

Doesn't seem to (at first glance) force you to publish to layout. This was implied but only as pdf - This should be pdf and dwg!
I meant that the program does not seem to prevent you from closing or gives you a prompt window to the pdf publisher for the drawings marked for that issue - preventing the wrong date of issue. But I must concede I've re-watched the overview and it does allude to this feature??

As for the DWG remark- we've found that we need to publish DWGs and PDFs to satisfy consultants and clients alike (and allow for the occasional back track when the client changes their mind). currently if you publish the layout in pdf and continue to work the dwg published later reports and error which can cause issues.
Rob wrote:
So far this is the most comprehensive revisions tool I have ever seen in any AEC software.
Can't argue much with that Rob can I
Learn and get certified!