Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 21 Stair tool break lines

Stuart Bloese
Booster
I'm currently working on a simple project with a pair of houses (semidetached) each containing a single stair from ground to first floor. The floor levels of these house differ by 225mm. The stair that is at 0 displays correctly with a break line on the ground floor and no break on the storey above. The staircase on the house that is 225mm lower will not show a break line on the ground floor plan regardless of how I set the parameters.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a way to get the lower staircase to display with the break line?

Currently running AC21 build 5010
Mac OS 10.12.6

Thanks

Stuart
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Stuart Bloese
Booster
HI,

Thanks for the update and your experiment. I have tried what you have listed below and have replicated your results.

It appears that you cannot get the stair to display correctly when you have the stair set below the home storey and you have a storey below this level.

As I do not have any real information on the storey below ground floor I have deleted this storey and now the stair displays correctly in accordance with the settings.

Using this knowledge I have also managed to get the stair to appear on the ground floor as intended. To do this:
Relinked the stair to the foundation layer (-1)
Under Floor Plan Display Layouts select "Show on: All relevant & One Storey up"
On relevant top storey (0) select "with break mark visible - hidden"

The staircase now appears on foundation, ground and first floor.

Once again thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Lingwisyer
Guru
What parameters are you setting? Have you checked the floor plan cut height of the stair under the stair settings?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Stuart Bloese
Booster
Current parameters for the stairs are as follows:

Floor Plan Display: Relevant Story (0. Ground Floor) with Break Mark: Visible-Hidden
Break Mark: Break Mark position - Custom Height 875mm.

I have also tried the break mark at Floor Plan Cut Height with no difference on plan. The strange thing is that the dialogue box shows the break and its position moving if it is adjusted but the break is not appearing on the floor plan when the stair is installed 225mm below project zero.

I have updated ArchiCAD this morning and run an open and repair on the file with no change.

Thanks

Stuart
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Check that by lowering the stair just 225mm AC still considers it to belong to the defined story and not one below. It may be happening that it is being displayed as if looking from the next story level.

Best regards.
Stuart Bloese
Booster
Hi,

I have checked that and it is associated with the Ground Floor. I have also checked the storey below and nothing shows up on this floor.

The first floor plan will show the break line as detailed in the Stair tool, it is only the ground floor that will only show the entire stair. I have also tried adjusting the position of the stair so that it is only -1mm below the ground floor and I get the same results. It is only when the stair is set at the same level as the ground floor or above the ground floor that the breadline show as intended.

Thanks for the help to date, Has anyone else tried this with a stair to see if they can recreate the results that I am getting?

Regards

Stuart
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Sorry. What I meant was for you to check the "Floor Plan Display Layouts" in the stair settings. It may be still associated to ground floor, but AC may be considering it to be a display layout for another storey.
First adjust the "show on:" setting, as you may first need to set it to Home & One Story Down or something else in order to check the different display layouts...
Best regards.
Stuart Bloese
Booster
Hi,

See attached screenshot of how the Floor Plan Display Layouts are configured and the stair in question highlighted in green.

As you can see the staircase is set as relevant storey being ground floor.
Above relevant storey is first floor.

The staircase is set to display on home storey and one storey up. At present the staircase appears on ground floor plan and first floor plan. It displays correctly on first floor but not ground floor.

Regards

Stuart
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
I get it. I understand how your stair and stories are set. But there might be something else happening in your file, so there are more things to keep an eye on.

To see if this may be the case, I made a really quick experiment. Two stairs on ground floor with one lowered 200mm. I can adjust the display without issues on ground floor regardless of this 200mm offset, but some things happen when other stories are introduced, and need to be taken into consideration.
The dashed line is there to show just how the break line behaves with regards to the level offset in the lower stair.
While I still can adjust the display layout for the stair on ground floor to show a break line, you might want to try to set it to show on all relevant stories to see how it behaves regarding its offset to the home story, because changing to relevant stories will modify which story is relevant to the stair.

This may be file specific, or there may be other settings involved that are making it not to behave as intended.

Best regards.
Solution
Stuart Bloese
Booster
HI,

Thanks for the update and your experiment. I have tried what you have listed below and have replicated your results.

It appears that you cannot get the stair to display correctly when you have the stair set below the home storey and you have a storey below this level.

As I do not have any real information on the storey below ground floor I have deleted this storey and now the stair displays correctly in accordance with the settings.

Using this knowledge I have also managed to get the stair to appear on the ground floor as intended. To do this:
Relinked the stair to the foundation layer (-1)
Under Floor Plan Display Layouts select "Show on: All relevant & One Storey up"
On relevant top storey (0) select "with break mark visible - hidden"

The staircase now appears on foundation, ground and first floor.

Once again thanks for all your help.
christurley
Newcomer
For users who have this same problem in the future and are seeking a solution. I have one possible solution. I found that the rails that I installed in static mode vs associative were not cutting properly at the break marks. My guess is that the rails use the breakmark of the stairs if associative and something else if not. Try turning on associative and make sure the stair highlights before drawing the railing.
Chris Turley
www.TurleyArchitects.com

Windows 10, Archicad 23
THINKPAD P50 32GB RAM, 64 BIT OS