Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD Flashback

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey

I felt like talking about the "good" old days and would be interested to get some other story's, how it all started.

My first ArchCAD in the late 80ties was the 3.4 Version. Only 16 ( I think) layers which where numbered and you could not change. No curved walls, roofs, no polilynes, layout, not even plotmaker, no rendering, no stairmaker, I am sure there is more but can't remember.

I had a mac II ( I think ) 512 KB of RAM, 20 MB Harddrive, chip I think 16 MHZ, 21 inch screen black and white of course !

Costing if I rember correctly:

ArchiCAD 12000 Dollars
Computer 10000 Dollars
Screen 8000 Dollars
and if you after all this could aford a pen plotter another 29000 Dollars

So the workstation cost you: 59000 Dollars, can't belive today Architects where able to by this !

Cheers Carsten

ArchiCAD, 3D StudioMax, Vray
www.emdeimages.com.au
37 REPLIES 37
Rakela Raul
Participant
completed
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Laszlo Vertesi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
A friend of mine called me up in 1989 whether I wanted to work for a yet small but very promising company, where the job would not be exactly practicing architecture, but a sort of...

The pictures are from a few years later:
  • upper left is about an exhibition hall project for the Budapest expo, done within my post graduate studies
  • lower left is "Hill House", dedicated to the "ArchiCAD 4.0 in Action" tutorial VHS video (yes, that time it was current...)
  • on the right the 1992 ArchiCAD poster, which includes both images.
Laszlo Vertesi
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Laszlo,

I like the yellow furniture in your house... very contemporary however you should reconsider that 'venomous' green steel work colour and pink walls (those postgraduate students... always pushing boundaries... no colour combination can be limiting) in your exhibition hall project... Let's hope that those two projects would not crash AC14 today...
::rk
remember this ?

Who modeled this?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
In the spring of 1991, in the first grade of my architectural studies, my girlfriend (now my wife) applied for a temporary job at GS. She was hired so I tried it too but was quickly turned down. It was not specified in the ad but the job was to be one of the hostesses for the GS booth at the upcoming computer trade-show in Budapest 😉

To meet my girlfriend I was hanging around the booth as a "visitor" and was playing with AC4.0 on the showcased Apple computers. 2 years later I was to "officially" learn ArchiCAD 4.1 at the technical university of Budapest...

As a former architect, this Bauhaus reconstruction work is what I am the most proud of from my ArchiCAD works:

http://www.architectsjury.com/Members/pfemeter/versiona1.jpg/image_view_fullscreen
http://www.archplus.net/download.php?art=3098

akos

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

Erika Epstein
Booster
Beautiful model Akos. Than you for sharing both model and the original. Is it still existing? Have you been there?

And for the record, you would have made a lovely hostess
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Rob wrote:
Laszlo,

I like the yellow furniture in your house
Isn't that the furniture he bought from you?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Erika wrote:
Is it still existing? Have you been there?
It is, since one of our friends is living in the house we have the opportunity to visit it every once in a while

It is located on the hillside of Buda so from the rooftop terrace there is a terrific view onto the city especially at night...

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft