OSX 10.14.6 & 11.3.1
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! I'm happy!

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is very interesting news for another reason

Anyone who doesn't know Moment of Inspiration 3D should check it out, developed by the same guy who created Rhino 3D. Its a powerful but simplified version of Rhino using nerb modeling.
Ive used MOI3D before to model complex roof structures because of its user friendly interface.

This connection should make MOI3D import via Rhino also possible.

http://moi3d.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable
The plugin is good, although there are some issues with origin points that make it a bit annoying (http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=48981)

Also, if there was a way to quickly reload the exported component within archicad, easy iteration would be possible...

Right now you can't just drop the replacement on top of the gsm file and reload within archicad and update instances.

Regards

stefan
Booster
strawbale wrote:
This is very interesting news for another reason

Anyone who doesn't know Moment of Inspiration 3D should check it out, developed by the same guy who created Rhino 3D. Its a powerful but simplified version of Rhino using nerb modeling.
Ive used MOI3D before to model complex roof structures because of its user friendly interface.

This connection should make MOI3D import via Rhino also possible.

http://moi3d.com/
I don't think it'll help you in any way, as it works as a Rhino plugin: you export from a Rhino file (but in the Rhino software) into an ArchiCAD Library Object (GSM) or Library Container (LCF). This needs Rhino 5 for Windows.

The GSM or LCF can be loaded in ArchiCAD on Windows and on Mac.

ArchiCAD cannot read 3DM files with this connection. Rhino can write ArchiCAD-compatible files.
--- stefan boeykens --- architect-engineer-musician ---
ARCHICAD25/Revit2022/Rhino6/Unity2020/Solibri
MBP2019:i9Octo2.4GHz32GBVega20/BigSur+Win11
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to see Graphisoft continuing to make their software compatible thru out the 3D industry.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
And now the next step is coming in the form of bidirectional "real-time" connection:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50281
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

stefan
Booster
This is very good news! A proof that they take some (big) end user demands into account

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/rhino-grasshopper/
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

stefan wrote:
This is very good news! A proof that they take some (big) end user demands into account

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/rhino-grasshopper/

With some of their direct competitors taking big steps and stabs at their own takes in the whole visual programming generative design paradigm (Revit with Dynamo, Vectorworks with Marionette, even Microstation with their own SmartComponents Generative module), it's kind of hard to see how they could afford to keep ignoring this issue or keep pushing it in the back-burner, like they might have seemed to have been doing to us.

Maybe this is one of the benefits of having some of the big-name (read:celebrity/starchitect) players using their brand and who already delve in this sort of design.

The advantage of this is that we could and should see some of the benefits flowing downstream to smaller and regular users since Grasshopper is such a versatile tool who's importance is not just limited to experimental and super-expressive type architecture, but can also facilitate typical bread-and-butter type design projects.

Really looking forward to see how this develops.

stefan
Booster
Well, with this approach (let's see how it works), you get everything from Grasshopper (plugins, resources, tutorials, ...) and can integrate ArchiCAD with it. From day 1 they'll have a more complete solution than by developing their own internal visual programming system.

So all in all, this seems an efficient approach. And the day Grasshopper becomes cross-platform (still hoping) it might also be relatively easy to support the OSX version of ArchiCAD.
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
stefan wrote:
And the day Grasshopper becomes cross-platform (still hoping) it might also be relatively easy to support the OSX version of ArchiCAD.
I think they are working on the Mac version of Grasshopper to be able to release it as soon as possible:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/page/grasshopper-for-mac
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

stefan
Booster
I've heard from one of their teachers that they had a version running internally a few years ago already.

ASAP is a very relative statement.

The way McNeel evolves is slowly but steadily. They take their time, but then release very decent and well engineering software.

The power of tying into OS APIs is also its constraint... Although the Mono project, the work from Xamarin and the announcement of Microsoft to Open Source (parts of) the .NET Framework do affirm a possible future for Grasshopper on OSX.
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

Anonymous
Not applicable
After taking a break from some deadlines, I watched the video again. It's fast paced so I had to stop it a few times to get what was going on. I'll be very interested to see how far this goes in it's integration with ArchiCad. Our sister company Vectorworks is touting this within it's own software environment but I don't see how it could be as mature as the Rhino/Grasshopper solution is. I'm hoping that this is not just tacked on for promotional talking points, but something real and usable.

stefan
Booster
If you stop at the right time in the video, you can see the ArchiCAD-Add-in inside Rhino and what options are available.

You can see a bunch of native ArchiCAD objects (wall, beam, column, window ...) and a bunch of parameters, which seem to relate to the object parameters. So you could (all a guess from a single screenshot) have a series of walls, where start, end and height are all defined parametrically from Grasshopper logic.

For the rest, I assume, you have everything else at your disposal from Grasshopper. The thing that makes me wonder is if you would be able to define a complex Nurbs surface and somehow translate this into a "native" ArchiCAD wall. I imagine it would end up as a Morph object, but (hopefully) properly typed as Wall.

Now you'd have to be really careful with scheduling to not simply rely on native objects but also the generic objects with the same "type".
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

TMA_80
Contributor
Great catch Stefan! where is the curtain wall icon? Or are there icons . ?
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

stefan
Booster
TMA_80 wrote:
Great catch Stefan! where is the curtain wall icon? Or are there icons . ?
As with many Grasshopper add-ins, it is possible that the foldout of the ribbon has additional options.

Not sure if Curtain Wall is fully supported.
There is also no word of 2D or documentation options, but considering the problems with scaleability of Grasshopper, it seems doubtful that you would elaborate a parametric design to incorporate a fully documentation construction drawing set... I believe that, just like SketchUp, Grasshopper works best for a more schematic, abstract design level, which stays light enough to be tweaked and improved.
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!