Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD Viewer

Chadwick
Newcomer
I used to work for a firm that used ArchiCAD and can no longer view some files that I used ArchiCAD to create (because I no longer have access to it). Although I do remember at the time you could install ArchiCAD on an unlimited number of computers to view or use - you just couldn't save your progress unless you had the USB key. This was one of the cool perks with ArchiCAD because you could essentially 'give' it to a client to view their model without them having to purchase a license.

Is this still possible? And how would I go about getting a 'viewer' copy so that I could view my lingering files?

Thanks!
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Every ArchiCAD installation version 10 or 11 will automaticly open in demo mode to view files, unless you have the USB dongle plugged in. You won't be able to save, print, ...

No special AC Viewer involved
David Pacifico
Booster
This a link to the Educational version (Free)
https://eduregistration.graphisoft.com/

The installer will give you a choice to install the pro version. The you can use it as a viewer. Don't use the educational version as a viewer, becuase if you save it you won't be able to use it in the pro version.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Chadwick
Newcomer
Thanks guys - I appreciate the help.
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
stefan
Expert
David wrote:
This a link to the Educational version (Free)
https://eduregistration.graphisoft.com/

The installer will give you a choice to install the pro version. The you can use it as a viewer. Don't use the educational version as a viewer, becuase if you save it you won't be able to use it in the pro version.
You can open EDU files in the Pro version. They will have a watermark toggled, which is embedded in the file. I open our students files in my regular version and have only one issue: hotlinked modules in EDU format are not read in the PRO version, since it keeps reopening them to switch to EDU.
(I teach ArchiCAD, but still have my commercial license from my prior commercial work.)
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
This has been a wishlist item of mine for about ten years now. Just a simple PLN viewer app would be nice to distribute. Or better yet, have it installed on a web site as a Java app that loads much like the Project Reviewer.

Anyway, it'll probably never happen, so you have to go through the FULL AC install method.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Anonymous
Not applicable
3d PDF sort of does what you want at the moment. Have you investigated that perhaps? The navigation is rubbish and the lighting leaves a lot be desired, but it almost works for viewing pure geometry!

What about an IFC based version. There are several free IFC viewers around. What size is an IFC file when exported form AC? I assume you would need to make it read-only somehow also?

I haven't experimented with either method, just thinking out loud!
stefan
Expert
Peter wrote:
3d PDF sort of does what you want at the moment. Have you investigated that perhaps? The navigation is rubbish and the lighting leaves a lot be desired, but it almost works for viewing pure geometry!

What about an IFC based version. There are several free IFC viewers around. What size is an IFC file when exported form AC? I assume you would need to make it read-only somehow also?

I haven't experimented with either method, just thinking out loud!
You could try http://www.solibri.com/solibri-model-viewer.html
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Sightline
Contributor
Peter wrote:
3d PDF sort of does what you want at the moment...
Does that option work finally on Mac?
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com