BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD and BIM

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys

I'm on my Part 1 Placement in Brazil, and currently working on a research project about Building Information Modelling (BIM). Focusing on the main softwares of Revit, ArchiCAD and Bentley.

I need to analyse each software in terms of its;
Advantages
Disadvantages
Ease of Use
Affordability
Market Use
Databank capabilities

I thought it'd be best to ask exisitng users of these programs in various forums, so please give me your opinions!

Cheers
10 REPLIES 10
TMA_80
Enthusiast
hello

have you had a look here

http://www.aecbytes.com

you'll find great articles about BIM like this one:
http://www.aecbytes.com/feature/2007/BIMSurveyReport.html

there was also this article too...

http://www.aim168realestate.com/real-estate-news/united-arab-emirates/4803/revelation-research-publi...

good luck !
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Dwight
Newcomer
Folks are too busy to write essays in response to a question like yours.

If you want measurable user reactions, you'll need to go on forums and taunt the users by suggesting their choice is inferior to others.

Then you get guys writing about their software.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Truth Is Out There
David Collins
Advocate
Dwight wrote:
If you want measurable user reactions, you'll need to go on forums and taunt the users
Something like this:

You don't frighten us, Archi-pigdogs! Go and boil your geometric desciption language, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, you and all you silly BIMs! 
Thpppt!  Thpppppppt! Thpppppppppppppppt! 
You empty-headed keyboard-wipers, I phart in your general direction! Your mother was a mousepad and your father smelled of Pounce!

Now go away or I shall taunt you again!
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you TMA_80 for the links they look really helpful.

Can anyone else put me in the right direction for other articles or sites which may be helpful?

Cheers
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Dwight wrote:
If you want measurable user reactions, you'll need to go on forums and taunt the users
Something like this:

You don't frighten us, Archi-pigdogs! Go and boil your geometric desciption language, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, you and all you silly BIMs! 
You empty-headed keyboard-wipers, I phart in your general direction! Your mother was a mousepad and your father smelled of Pounce!

or....

I told them we already got one!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
David wrote:
Dwight wrote:
Something like this:

Hey! You leave my mother out of this!

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

David Collins
Advocate
Fetchez la vache!
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Esmoo, I think your best approach is to browse the forum members for a bit, and find those who are experienced - and have experience of a few different software types. I'd then message them direct and pick their brains between (say) 2 different programs.

Personally as a long time AC user I have found my best insights on REVIT (for example) is from people who have used both. Actually I think it is a far more relevant approach for what you are trying to do. You need informed not biased comparisons.

I'm considering drafting a capability matrix of AC vs "the world" just to document where AC sits feature wise. Why? Try to prompt GS to be strategic in their thinking in AC development. The way things stand in a few years Sketch-up will surpass AC - and that's at 10% the cost! (Some would say surpassed in modeling if you go and buy some of the 3d modeling add-ons available on the web).
In this forum a slide has been posted from a Nemestcheck (AC parent company) presentation on Vectorworks that illustrates just some of AC shortcomings
Learn and get certified!