Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD and engineers

Anonymous
Not applicable
An interesting retrospective (symbolically referencing power house engineering)..but from my perspective sadly, you have done very little for real engineers. my2c
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
An interesting retrospective (symbolically referencing power house engineering)..but from my perspective sadly, you have done very little for real engineers. my2c
You have to know something: ARCHICAD has always been an application created by architects for architects.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
You have to know something: ARCHICAD has always been an application created by architects for architects.
Ha...Yes I do know that [let go of the past as BIM has moved onto ironically..Physics], as engineers we work within constraints and limltations that architects bind us to, but we shouldnt have to be making excuses for your software, in that you have FORGOTTEN EVERY ONE ELSE.
This is an area that Nem has to address..urgently
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried Revit?
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
Ha...Yes I do know that [let go of the past as BIM has moved onto ironically..Physics], as engineers we work within constraints and limltations that architects bind us to, but we shouldnt have to be making excuses for your software, in that you have FORGOTTEN EVERY ONE ELSE.
This is an area that Nem has to address..urgently
With all due respect, you probably shouldn't be using Architectural design software for engineering purposes (however much you might enjoy it), if it bothers you that it caters so much more to the intended end-users and how they think and work.

I mean, I wouldn't want to be using engineering software to design buildings and to work in Architecture neither and would expect to find a lot of quirks and oddities I wouldn't like working with, as an architect.

That's probably the (biggest) reason why I use ArchiCAD and not Revit*.

(*originally deeveloped as an engineering design software before being re-purposed for Architecture,.......and STILL works a lot like one, in many respects).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I might suggest soon you may be the odd one out
I dont differentiate nor discriminate between sales,design,engineering and construction.
With the first 3 our preferences is now VWs which i might add has addressed alot of my concerns with (REAL) engineering parametrics in the latest release. Construction Wds are done in A/C. Revit and simulations particulary are in their infancy.We have all software but use whats most appropriate for sales, presentations, Apps/sims & deals.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
This topic is about "The Graphisoft Story". If you have concerns about ArchiCAD's design or functionality, can you please start a new topic to discuss them specifically rather than piggy-backing onto other topics?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to think the graphisoft story is still evolving and to say it's only for architects is not true as there are many builders using AC software above any other. I see no harm in a little nudge or push towards REAL Engineering and Data use.
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
This topic is about "The Graphisoft Story". If you have concerns about ArchiCAD's design or functionality, can you please start a new topic to discuss them specifically rather than piggy-backing onto other topics?
I've split these posts into this new thread. Thanks, Ralph. DesignEngineerBIM - please stay on topic, one topic per thread. If you want to continue this topic - here's the place - not the thread concerning the history of Graphisoft.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl
I guess everyone (clients,architects ,engineers) sees their own importance differently and Mr Gabor Bojar certainly deserves respect and gratitude.