Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD in Canada

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will be moving to Canada as Permanent Resident in the next 6 months.
I use ArchiCAD since 2001 in all BIM related jobs.
What are the chances of finding jobs in Canada?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aya wrote:
I will be moving to Canada as Permanent Resident in the next 6 months.
I use ArchiCAD since 2001 in all BIM related jobs.
What are the chances of finding jobs in Canada?
There are good chances if you are experienced and skilled. Now archicad jobs are different topic since there are not that many companies that use archicad and most prefer revit. And if anybody knows me even if I get hired in "revit company" I try to push forward archicad and illustrate its capabilities. Also schools have no idea about archicad.. This is where the whole problem begins - if schools don't have archicad then none will know what it is. However there are few small companies that wield archicad and do look for skilled people.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanx for ur reply..
Could u give me a list for these companies?
and do u know what certain skills rather than ArchiCAD is needed?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, just wondering whether you've been successful finding Archicad job?
If still looking for one, we could probably offer a position...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm from quebec and been using archicad since version 4. It is very difficult to find people that have been form on archicad. Autodesk is very présent in architecture in the province of Québec.

Martin Houde
Architect, OAQ, NCARB

www.aagc.ca
Same thing with BC, out here in the west coast.

ArchiCAD is virtually non-existent here (although not completely unheard of).

British Columbia (And more specifically Vancouver) is Revit and Vectorworks Land (depending on the size of the firm and whether they are Mac or PC based).

The funny thing is every firm I've worked with and where they've seen me use ArchiCAD, they were very impressed with its capabilities and versatility relative to what they were using (be it Revit or VW).
But they were also almost all afraid to switch or try it out because they worried they wouldn't have support or that they would be out of touch and out of step with local AEC designer and consultant culture (even though most AEC-adjacent consultants here still mostly use 2D AutoCAD).

Graphisoft support, marketing and presence here is tragically anaemic and for the most part, virtually non-existent, so it's not surprising that most firms here would be unaware that there's a superior alternative available and that it wouldn't make it difficult for them to work with construction industry partners and consultants.

I actually learned, and began using ArchiCAD (version 7.2) in Quebec, (at McGill specifically, where it was taught and used in some of the studios there. Not so sure if they still do that today.).
I also used it quite a bit in post-grad school in California where it has a surprisingly healthy usage and presence there and where it's easier to find work with ArchiCAD-using firms there)
Anonymous
Not applicable
autodesk is giving free software licence for school so everyone learn revit or autocad and solidwork.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So does GRAPHISOFT.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
RandyC
Advocate
I also am from BC and we have no representation for Archicad , I think that my provider (should I need them)
is Graphisoft USA , as we have no representative for Western Canada. Sometimes this is very frustrating but
thanks to Archicad Talk we are usually able to muddle through difficulties. -- It would be nice to see a larger presence here --

Archicad user since v.4.5
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually there is a rep for BC and Alberta now. You can find his name on The Graphisoft website.