Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD is dying

Bruce
Expert
I know that's a controversial subject line, but I believe it's true. Not because I want it to be, but because Autodesk is an advancing monster; ArchiCAD firms are switching to Revit, and Revit-based firms are buying ArchiCAD firms...and switching them to Revit.

ArchiCAD is a great program, but if it keeps going the way it is, I fear it will gradually dwindle until it's finally gone. On a level playing field, it comes out more or less even with Revit (I have done a detailed analysis that has been vetted by Revit experts) - but it's not a level playing field.

In my opinion, Graphisoft needs to do a handful of things to even the odds (yes, I will compare to Revit, as that's the main competition):

1. Rebrand & revamp the UI: CAD is an obsolete term. Even though ArchiCAD was BIM way before the term was even coined, I think the "CAD" in the name does it a disservice. Also, the user interface is old and tired. Should it go to the ribbon? No way. Should it be brought into the 21st century? Absolutely - there are plenty of excellent examples out there. Blender, a free 3D program, is undergoing its second UI redesign in about 5 years. If Blender can do it, Graphisoft can.

2. Introduce type-based elements. At the moment, pretty much everything is instance based. If you place 100 doors 900mm wide throughout the project, you have to select and change every single instance (this is an example, so please don't tell me the workarounds - that misses the point). Essentially, this is extending the attributes database to other objects. This makes project-wide changes so much more consistent, with no fear of missing an element.

3. Easier creation of parametric custom content: A beginner user in Revit can create a basic parametric object by using geometry and dimensions. It is intuitive and accessible. This does have its limits, but GDL is completely inaccessible to any but the advanced user with a programming mind...something architects and drafties generally don't have - otherwise they'd be programmers. A mix of the two would be extremely powerful - maybe an interface similar to Visual Basic, or Grasshopper? Not only for 3D elements, but also for 2D labels.

4. Better labelling & keynote tools: At the moment it's one label per element per view. What if I want to tag more than the ID? What about material, thickness, height etc. Revit is excellent in this regard, and also in the ability to create your label format as specific as you please. Key notes are also critical.

These are only four key improvements that I think are critical. There are many others that I could list, but this post is already too long. I say the above not to criticise ArchiCAD, but to try and help (misguided however it may be).

I could be wrong - I would be happy to be wrong...but the Autodesk monster is advancing...

These changes should be done the Graphisoft way: not to match what Revit does, but to equal and better it.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, you hear more about Revit than any other software.

I know in least here in the Netherlands you get a 10% discount on Archicad through the BNA which is the dutch Architects Association.

The problem here is that Revit is more "famous" at the contractors site of the building team. They are usually more "powerful" than architects here... Luckily Archicad has some great Revit IFC export that we use in our office with success.
arg617
Contributor
The thing is, to me at least, it's not so much marketing/propaganda/lies. It's as simple as training.
It sometimes feels like Geaphisoft is stuck in the 80's/90's mentality of "this is the future, if they want to be in the future they'll learn it".
Well, the future has arrived, answer ARE learning it. Students are actually required to learn it. There are required courses, and none of them are in Graphisoft products. There are not even elective courses in Graphisoft products. And it can't be about budget - I can find Rhino courses all over the place and they MUST have a much smaller budget than Graphisoft!
So as long as these are the programs kids are learning, they are the programs that will gain market share.
As someone who's been out of school for a while (and wanting to learn BIM), I've checked the night course catalogs too. Not a single course in ArchiCad in NYC! Planting an instructor down in major cities in major markets would be a rounding error in Graphisoft's budget.......there are courses for Revit though. I took one (hated the program). The guy teaching it is from a major firm in the city. He does it for a little extra money.
So, to me, it's a lack of willingness on Graphisoft's part. This isn't rocket science. Get into the schools. Provide training. The time has come for all their hard work to pay off and they don't even realize it.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Agreed, Having lobbyists fro the universities to squeeze a few licences and training options wouldn't hurt ArchiCAD's popularity.

But there's also the lack of local user groups, or feeling of Community around the software... which isn't directly promoted by GS... and is largely supported by ADSK.
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
At some point it is just marketing hoo-haw. If ArchiCAD is a better program than the firms who adopt it have an edge over their competition. A good product sells itself.

My first exposure to ArchiCAD actually was through my university. Back in version 4 or 5 something. Although Graphisoft somehow bungled that relationship and the trial program was ended.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The one real annoyance with Revit marketing themselves as the premier BIM-sensation is that the vast majority of product pages cater to .rfa format only for 3D objects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree on the local user groups. For instance, there is no Dutch forum here where you can ask questions about problems you have. You are forced to contact the reseller (IF you have a support contract). So as a newbie like me, dealing with modeling typical dutch buildings, it's hard to find answers. As for education I think there are a couple of good lessons through the myarchicad website but they haven't been updated I think....
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Product representative objects from more furniture, plumbing, window, doors, lighting manufactures. Commercial interior design objects.
2. work with AIA to promote ArchiCAD as a BIM solution & knowledge that BIM IS BIM as in Revit is not the only choice plus skills are transferable.
3. New modern GUI.
4. Work closer with education organizations, classes, discounts.
5. Easier to make custom objects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My 2 cents. I work for one of the largest GC's in US. In over 8 years I have not once got a model from the designer. I have asked on several occasion my piers and subs, and it's like that everywhere. The big designers are using Revit. In the past they have been working using Autocad now Revit. It's being forced by the fact that you collaborators are using similar software that talks directly with yours. As much as Archicad can model the MEP systems or structure it's used only in residential construction (houses not high risers though). As soon as the design firm is becoming large enough to need external MEP/Structural consultants it is basically forced to switch to Revit. IFC just dosen't work well enough and the danger of conversion problems is scaring the rest.
This is driving the owners to believe that the delivery format is Revit. Autodesk (obviously) supports it's own products better. And some are basically standards this days. Navisworks, BIM360 platform, 3dsmax to mention a few. I know there are workarounds but on the large scale not sustainable.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's being forced by the fact that your collaborators are using similar software that talks directly with yours.
Nail.On.The.Head.

BIM is a collaborative process and if the perception is that consultants will use Revit, then architects are probably more likely to pick that as a solution because of the fear of issues in converting the file - even if the process *is* simple.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Mark wrote:
It's being forced by the fact that your collaborators are using similar software that talks directly with yours.
Nail.On.The.Head.

BIM is a collaborative process and if the perception is that consultants will use Revit, then architects are probably more likely to pick that as a solution because of the fear of issues in converting the file - even if the process *is* simple.
I completely agree.

I don't use Revit because I think is better.*
I use it because is what the company I'm working for uses**. And they use it because is mostly what other companies are using. ( a logical business jump since they were already Autodesk's Autocrap customers)

But again, that's not enough to say "ArchiCAD is dying"

*: and I don't think is better.
**: Funny, the company I'm with at the moment is transitioning from using Vectorworks on Mac Pros to Revit on PCs... don't look at me, it wasn't my idea.

P.S. If I want to change companies ( at least here in Vancouver BC) I would have a hard time finding a company using ArchiCAD
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab