Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

ArchiCAD library objects, dated and no hope for getting major US manufacturers objects in GDL format

rm
Expert
I went onto the BimObject portal today to find some American manufacturers for windows, doors, plumbing fixtures and lighting.

Virtually NO American manufacturers are represented by AC native GDL objects. Almost every object you might need or want, to place in your model, made by a US or European manufacturer, is available for download into a Revit.

Graphisoft has always dropped the ball in updating their own developed libraries and they have dropped the ball in partnering with manufacturers of architectural products produced in the US for US architects.

Last week I was called by GS US to see if I was going to renew my yearly support subscription. I asked what the benefit was given how Revit is crushing market share in the US? But most important to me, in-particular, I simply cannot get US manufacturer based architectural and construction products in GDL format for my AC models.

Now that Autodesk has announced an All-IN effort to focus on construction and manufacturing - GS days are numbered!!! Autodesk has convinced manufacturers of virtually all construction and architectural products, that if they want their products specified by architects and interior designers, they better make their products available for insertion into Revit models.

After being with AC since 1994, as much as I don't want to make the change, for me it is looking more and more like Revit has won the battle over AC and it is time for me to make the switch. The worse part about it, this decision might cause me to switch to PCs over Macs as well, unless Revit can run well under virtualization too.

Graphisoft, I am certain I am not the only customer of yours that is thinking the same way. I know there will be the GS apologist pointing to converts of Revit to AC. I would be that many more go the opposite direction.

Please GS, fix this problem, FAST!!!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
14 REPLIES 14
Nader Belal
Mentor
Get me the client, and I will make the library
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
rm
Expert
You have missed the point. There are thousands of FREE objects on the market, no one wants to pay for them, certainly not the architects or designers that are specifying the products/objects.

If you want to make money selling your GDL abilities, I suggest you partner with GS.....selling a hand full of one off objects is a dead end.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Nader Belal
Mentor
You didn't get my point.

When you asked for the client, I have meant manufacturer.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
rm
Expert
YOU brought up "client", and now you bring up your request for a manufacturer - there are thousands to choose from, I suggest you pick those you wish to pursue for business? What exactly are you seeking with your comments?
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You might want to enquire with Revit users about the quality of these Revit parts before making the leap. This is no criticism of your stance, however I've found manufacturer models / parts of generally poor quality compared to the paid content that comes shipped with ArchiCAD for us. Not just the ArchiCAD format specific parts, but also things converted from other formats (revit, sketchup, 3DS etc).

I prefer to use parts from the official and local subscription library over most of the 3rd party manufacturer stuff I've found, rather than dealing with constant model error reports or missing surfaces and such. Most parts are versatile enough to get LOD300 sent out. LOD400 and onwards generally happens in IFC with all parties chipping in their parts of the model.

That said, whenever I have a sales rep in the office and they ask me about any wishes I tell to get a good ArchiCAD library for architects to use. But I have a feeling a lot of this stuff gets outsourced to cheap labour parts of the world with little to no quality control.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Nader Belal
Mentor
@rm

01. Most of the manufacturers aren't aware of the different BIM platforms that are available, or at least they're not aware of their client's needs of BIM objects provided in their platform compliant formats.

02. I will assume that you're from the US, but when I was creating the object library for a local company in Spain, I have found that not all manufacturers have all the related info prepared about their products for object creation, and this issue manifest itself in four aspects:
02.a. Their info is a 2D CAD (usually with a lot of errors), that in case that they had plans at all.
02.b. When creating BIM objects for public distribution, you have to provide all info in the created object, so that the user doesn't have to scratch his/er head searching for it, well some manufacturers do not have this info prepared.
02.c. Depending on who is in charge or who is influencing the decision making, some decision are made with total ignorance with each platform specifics.
02.d. Manufacturers usually don't provided anything more than their sold product/services unless their they were forced to (ex: legal legislation), or they were asked to and hope it can bump their sales.

TL;DR, I know that good GDL scriptors are hard to find, but right now, I think that from your position as a practising architect & interior designer, not only you can ask for ArchiCAD native objects, but also can provide the contact for who can create them for manufacturers.
rm
Expert
@Moonlight

I appreciate your thoughts, though I don't agree that most architectural product manufacturers don't know who the major players are in architectural software in the US market or the world for that matter. Yes I am in the US and yes, almost anyone related to building design or construction knows the name AutoDesk, generically AutoCAD and Revit. Many even know ArchiCAD, but choose to ignore GS, assuming the market is too small for development costs of producing GDL native library parts. But they don't ignore Revit or even Sketchup for that matter.

Now if you are determined to gain some business by contacting US manufacturers to offer GDL library creation, God Bless you friend, but good luck too!

But since you asked, if I could have GDL native library parts..... here is just a short list of what I would want:

Marvin Windows and Doors, Pella Windows and Doors, Kolbe Windows and Doors, Kohler, American Standard, GE, LG, Samsung appliances, Simpson Strong Ties, Carrier, Halo Lighting, Lutron Lighting, Herman Miller Furniture, Blum Hardware, Thermador, Baldwin Hardware, KitchenAid, Sub-Zero -

This list could go on and on and I am sure the other architects, designers and contractors here could easily bring this list into the thousands of manufacturers needed on board.

Ultimately, the failure here in this regard, belongs to Graphisoft. They have dropped the ball in building these relationships. They need a dedicated staff specifically for this task.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
BIMOBJECT, thanks to a hefty investment from St-Gobain, were able to open an office in the By Area a few years ago. Perhaps a protest march and some picket signs in front of their offices would help. : - )
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Nader Belal
Mentor
In an effort to help ArchiCAD users to find quality GDL objects (and those of manufactures) I have created this list of places that you can consult in here

https://www.facebook.com/notes/archicad-espa%C3%B1a/repositorio-de-archicad-espa%C3%B1a-de-objetos-gdl-para-archicad/2076295219059597/