BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

ArchiCAD library objects, dated and no hope for getting major US manufacturers objects in GDL format

rm
Expert
I went onto the BimObject portal today to find some American manufacturers for windows, doors, plumbing fixtures and lighting.

Virtually NO American manufacturers are represented by AC native GDL objects. Almost every object you might need or want, to place in your model, made by a US or European manufacturer, is available for download into a Revit.

Graphisoft has always dropped the ball in updating their own developed libraries and they have dropped the ball in partnering with manufacturers of architectural products produced in the US for US architects.

Last week I was called by GS US to see if I was going to renew my yearly support subscription. I asked what the benefit was given how Revit is crushing market share in the US? But most important to me, in-particular, I simply cannot get US manufacturer based architectural and construction products in GDL format for my AC models.

Now that Autodesk has announced an All-IN effort to focus on construction and manufacturing - GS days are numbered!!! Autodesk has convinced manufacturers of virtually all construction and architectural products, that if they want their products specified by architects and interior designers, they better make their products available for insertion into Revit models.

After being with AC since 1994, as much as I don't want to make the change, for me it is looking more and more like Revit has won the battle over AC and it is time for me to make the switch. The worse part about it, this decision might cause me to switch to PCs over Macs as well, unless Revit can run well under virtualization too.

Graphisoft, I am certain I am not the only customer of yours that is thinking the same way. I know there will be the GS apologist pointing to converts of Revit to AC. I would be that many more go the opposite direction.

Please GS, fix this problem, FAST!!!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
14 REPLIES 14
I have a different take on all this, speaking as someone who has been somehow getting things built with only generic objects from Graphisoft for the past more than twenty years. Having manufacturer-specific objects is pretty much a waste of time. As soon as you get the project designed with Pella window objects, the client or the contractor will want to switch to Marvin. Got the project designed with Juno light fixtures? Well, this electrician is using Halo.

Who wants to manage all of these libraries, especially when they go out of date? I would prefer to have infinitely flexible generic objects that will work with ANY manufacturer. Switching to Revit simply because it has more manufacturers on board is kind of shooting yourself in the foot. If you really need accurate looking furniture eyewash, there is the RFA converter by Bim6x, or ModelPort from Archvista. Or just dragging in a model from the 3D Warehouse, and converting to a morph, if you need to.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Richard wrote:
I have a different take on all this, speaking as someone who has been somehow getting things built with only generic objects from Graphisoft for the past more than twenty years. Having manufacturer-specific objects is pretty much a waste of time. As soon as you get the project designed with Pella window objects, the client or the contractor will want to switch to Marvin. Got the project designed with Juno light fixtures? Well, this electrician is using Halo.

Who wants to manage all of these libraries, especially when they go out of date? I would prefer to have infinitely flexible generic objects that will work with ANY manufacturer. Switching to Revit simply because it has more manufacturers on board is kind of shooting yourself in the foot. If you really need accurate looking furniture eyewash, there is the RFA converter by Bim6x, or ModelPort from Archvista. Or just dragging in a model from the 3D Warehouse, and converting to a morph, if you need to.
We have pretty much the same workflow.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to agree with Richard and Erwin, having designed and documented several hospitals, office buildings, apartment towers etc in AC over the past 20 years I typically can get by with generic objects. Typically when manufacturers objects are available they are typically so badly modelled / auto scripted that it is easier for me to quickly model the object than put up with the excessive number of polygons that need to be calculated for each view slowing things down.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there been any update on this? I feel the same way as the original post. There really needs to be some growth in this direction as far as contacting American manufacturers. Even if revit models are basic, they at least have the standard sizes to get you moving etc.

It is interesting that an american company Jeld-Wen has their European lines in BimObject but not their american. Isnt that interesting. At the moment i have just converted most of the standard objects like Sub-Zero Fridges to GDL objects after downloading from sketchup, (like some peasant student). As a community it would feel great if it felt like it was growing.

Would you mind sharing your workflow for details. or how do you get around those little annoyances with the door/window tools. like you cant even have a custom brick mould. or change the casing profile. I realise the casing is different than door makers but i would love to be able to speed up this process of detailing a room.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Doors and windows just need a rework to make them consistent with each other, and the added ability to use Complex Profiles in their various parts.

Outside visualisation, when ever do you need accurately modelled furniture. Hire a visualisation firm to do your final renders. They are the ones who most of the 3D assets are suitable for and the ones who would have bought all of the relevant libraries.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!