BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD vs Chief Architect (and Revit)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum, so thanks' for responding to my post.

I'm a current Revit (advanced) user using it for mostly residential projects, and I'm looking for a better solution that is faster and overall more efficient for simple and complex residential projects. Revit is powerful and nice at some things, but a pain at any building that's not a square box with flat roof. I recently downloaded the trial of ArchiCAD, and so far very impressed.

I've also been following a training book on Chief Architect and slowly working on a house learning the software. I really like CA, but it's not full BIM, doesn't have auto labels, you can't schedule anything other than what they have, no live schedules, you can't click everything in 3D to edit like full BIM, the elevations and sections need to get exploded to edit the lines. Other than that, it would be very fast and allow me to make money faster.

With all of that said, are there any former Revit or Chief Architect users that migrated over to ArchiCAD and have been very satisfied? Are you able to do your work much faster than Revit, and feel it is much more powerful for your needs than CA? At this point, I could go either way with CA or ArchiCAD, so I'd greatly appreciate your opinions on this issue.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Welcome. As a new user, I encourage you to read and search before posting new topics, as there's usually an existing thread that may answer your questions, or which you can add to.

Searching quickly, here are two that may help. There are lots more. The main Chief Architect user here is Richard Morrison - you might search for his posts.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=59390

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=61964
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
I see my name has been invoked. There are some misconceptions in the OP's understanding of Chief Architect. It certainly isn't BIM to the extent that ArchiCAD is, but the last couple of releases have made significant progress. Schedules are certainly "live." (e.g. Add a door, and the door schedule updates instantly.) However, they are not bi-directional like ArchiCAD. (i.e. You can't edit the schedule and have the object update.) Generally, there is no reason to explode the sections and elevations; if they aren't right, it is because you haven't modeled them correctly. But you certainly have the option to add 2D elements, like fill patterns, lines, or text, on top of these sections/elevations. Regarding BIM, you can generally add a field type (say, door hardware function) to many element types and have it scheduled. These elements certainly can be selected and edited from a 3D view. "Auto-labels" are kind of there, but you need to use embedded macros, the use of which is not intuitive or explicitly demonstrated. If you had an example of what you are trying to label, I could opine on that. For calculating quantities, a normal materials list is very easy to extract from Chief; not so easy from AC.

In a nutshell, if you are a one-person office trying to get condocs out the door quickly for pretty mainstream residential projects, I suspect you will be happier with Chief Architect. Also, if you are doing lots of interior elements with cabinets and furniture, Chief is going to be a better fit since it has more extensive residential libraries. It also has better framing tools if you are showing much structural, like framing plans.

If you are doing extremely detailed residential work, like Victorians or very contemporary designs, remodelings where showing new vs. existing is important (with AC's renovation filters), projects with large amounts of polygon faces, have very finicky requirements with tricky terrains, unusual walls (canted/sloped/trapezoidal) and/or highly detailed condocs, then AC will be better, but you pay a price in the overall speed of producing those docs.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, Richard. I've read some of the previous discussions on this issue, and still am not sure which is best. If Chief Architect had the same level of BIM and annotations as AC and Revit, it would be a no-brainer for me. Has anyone had success with the framing tools in AC? I have seen mixed reviews on that. In CA it's basically automatic after you select all of your settings.

I love how ArchiCAD organizes views on sheets. As a current Revit user, I've become accustomed to being able to make my drawings aligned and and as neat as possible on the sheets. In CA, I don't see any way to align views to sheets, and the view titles aren't automatic in their labeling. I also like how AC shows the wall material repeating details (CMU, insulation, ect.) in the section views. In Revit I have to manually detail all of my sections , and I'm quite tired of it, especially on my recent 19k SF house. I lost motivation after days of tedious detailing of joists, rafters, headers, plates, and insulation.

I'm definitely moving away from Revit, no questions about that. I suppose AC would suit me if I get a highly complex residential or a commercial project.
BIM in Chief Architect ("CA") is not at the same level as ArchiCAD ("AC"). In AC, you can schedule ANY entity and assign a Classification to it. Not quite so in CA. But if you are doing primarily residential, so what? I haven't found that BIM is all that necessary in residential. In CA, you can schedule the major stuff, like manufacturer, model no., window area, etc. And you can add any fields you want, like "fire rating," in the Object Information Panel, so what are you going to need that you think might not be there?

Yes, framing CAN BE automatic in CA, but you can adjust anything after it's placed, and add new posts, beams, joists, rafters, etc., so I'm not sure what your concern is. I don't know where you are, but if in the U.S., then framing is much closer to U.S. conventions than AC.

Views on a layout sheet can be labeled automatically in CA, but you will need to insert a drop-down macro (like %box_scale%) into the label dialog box to get an automatic scale, for example. CA will align views after they are placed using the standard "align" tools, but you don't have quite the nice placement and labeling/referencing features as in AC. AC is clearly more "powerful" but CA is faster for standard stuff. I will say that for a 19K SF house, you might run into issues with view speed in CA if the house has lots of faces like fancy balusters or lots of furniture. AC can handle large projects without breaking a sweat, whereas with CA you might need to be careful about what you display. It can start to choke on really large projects. Both programs have features that might recommend them. From strictly a "get it out the door" standpoint, I'd recommend CA. From a quality of condocs/ability to handle ANYTHING standpoint, I'd recommend AC. You will need to decide what's most important to you.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im a big fan of ARchicad but the learning process has been very difficult. I used CA for years, I did find it crashed all the time for me and I was always doing work arounds to get what I wanted. Archicad is for sure a more robust product, it all depends on how big of a learning curve you want. IM about 60% there after two years. I still done understand graphic overrides and other items in archicad and having trouble with line wieghts and pens to line wieght relationships . I have consultant drafters so my learning is slow as Im not learning as I go as much. I do a lot of artsy fartsy stuff, sloping exterior walls...so archicad is the way to go.
Stress Co_
Advisor
A bit off topic... but noticed that ArchiPlus Members have access
to some Revit to ArchiCAD training material.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
RM is spot on with his comments. And yes it can be a steep learning curve in AC. You will have to review the level of complexity of design that you will be working on and the style of residential buildings. To me the learning curve didn’t bother me much as I am in the low rise residential field. Knowing where you are located can have quite an effect as RM says with internal modeling and with library elements. Have fun choosing.
Learn and get certified!