BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCad 15 & 16: Cursor Snap Variants

Francois_MCD
Expert
Hi
I get users that phone me daily with support questions.
This one is particularly "sticky".

In the screen shot you can see that I got the Cursor Snap Variants to work but admittedly it does not work correctly though.

Reading the article below, it is supposed to become active when starting to draw and then holding the SHIFT key. Then it must show.
Mine only became active after holding down SHIFT and click to the wall end point. By that time it is too late.
I also see that it only works this way in ArchiCad 16. It does not work at all in ArchiCad 15.

http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac16_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

Any ideas from anybody if there is a fix for this one?

ArchiCad 15 & 16 Cursor Snap Variants Error.png
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Having no problems here with 15 or 16 in 2D or 3D.

Personally, I've only ever used the shortcut to toggle between the constraints - the default being Q. (So, shift plus Q, since you must be holding Shift during the operation.)

Are you saying that you don't see the light dotted line between the end point of the constrained wall (etc) and the mouse cursor? If it is a visibility rather than functional issue, then your graphics card may be at fault.

Note that if your wall, as in your screenshot, is already "vertical" (parallel to the Y axis) - that there really is only one constraint: horizontal (which is identical to perpendicular), and if your wall (e.g.) is horizontal, there is also only one constraint: vertical (which is then identical to perpendicular).

You only see all three constraints, while pressing shift-Q when the element being drawn is at some angle.

Test it out with a wall drawn at 45 degrees, hold the Shift key down and tap (do not hold) the Q key (without releasing the shift key) - tap Q again ... and again ... you should cycle through the 3 constraints with a different dotted line and trimming option each time.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Francois_MCD
Expert
Thanks Karl

I actually have not ever had the need to use this feature. My client asked me for help on this and I get the same behavior as he does.

I tested the action and got the following:
1. Click to start drawing wall
2. Hold SHIFT key to lock Cursor Constraint
(here the Help says the "Cursor Snap Varians" button must become active BUT Does NOT in our case)
3. While holding SHIFT and press the "Q" key only now the button becomes active (contrary to "Help")

This means that it still does not work as said. What bugs me is that he is on a MAC and mine on Windows.
Both running International version.

At least you gave me a clue and I can let him know now that we just have to use this "trick" to get it to work.

Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
Karl Ottenstein
Never had this feature not work on Mac or Windows, so not sure what is happening for you. 😞

Note again that you tap the Q key repeteadly to cycle through the options... so draw a diagonal wall, hold the shift key down to constrain it on that angle ... and now move your cursor away from the end of the wall to the side somewhere... and tap Q three times... you should see 3 different results for both the length of the wall and the angle of the light dotted line.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Francois,

You are right. The documentation does explain the feature and it is not working as described. I will submit this to our programmers' attention.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Karl Ottenstein
On Mac, the button in the Control Box is disabled in both 2D and 3D for both 15 and 16: so, yeah, bug. Never used it, so never noticed.

But, Q key works and is faster anyway - not that the bug and documentation shouldn't be fixed. 😉
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
On Mac, the button in the Control Box is disabled in both 2D and 3D for both 15 and 16: so, yeah, bug.
Here, it is disabled (greyed out) until I hit the "q" button the 1st time, then it becomes active.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Karl wrote:
On Mac, the button in the Control Box is disabled in both 2D and 3D for both 15 and 16: so, yeah, bug.
Here, it is disabled (greyed out) until I hit the "q" button the 1st time, then it becomes active.

David
Interesting. Even after pressing 'q' is remains disabled for me. (?) I guess all of this will help the developers figure this one out...
Learn and get certified!