Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

ArchiCad Rotate Geometry not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
For whatever reason, I cannot get rotate geometry to work consistently in AC23. It works with some items, but not others. See video of it working for an appliance but not a toilet. Can't get it to work for a Mop Sink either.

14 REPLIES 14
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jkidd:

What I am seeing is that the MEP parts (which includes this type of Equipment) are not using the Rotated placement method. The MEP parts are easier to identify if the MEP Tools are loaded in the Toolbar. This look like a bug, unless I am missing some other setting.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry about the issue!

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate it on AC23 INT version, both on 3003 and 4006 build. As can be seen in the GIF below, placing the object allows me to rotate it freely.

I'm wondering if this issue happens on a brand new file? If not, does it happen on a specific file? Which localized version are you using?

Thank you very much! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
I think like David that is has something to do with MEP objects.

I don't have the MEP addon or library loaded and I am not seeing any problems rotating any of the plumbing objects.

Jkidd, do you have MEP loaded?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Minh:

After looking into this a bit further, I discovered that the bug only occurs when running ArchiCAD in demo mode. When I have the license via USB key, the Rotated placement option works for the MEP type objects.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi David,

I just tested your theory on a freshly installed AC23 on macOS 10.14.6. Unfortunately in DEMO mode, the objects are all rotatable.

I watched your video posted above once again, and I notice that ARCHICAD is running with Trial license. Could you confirm with me if the issue only happens with Demo mode or with Trial license? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Hello Minh:

I think I have narrowed down the issue. It involves the MEP license.
1. Start AC23, select New, select AC23 template file.
2. Open License Information..., it shows Available Products > ARCHICAD > Local (CodeMeter); MEP Modeler > Disabled.
3. Select Object Tool, WC 23 is the default object, choose Geometry Method: Rotated, place object, rotation on placement works.
4. Select Equipment Tool from the MEP tools, default is Hood Built-In 23, choose Geometry Method: Rotated, place object, rotation on placement does not work. (The other Geometry options also do not work.)
5. Open License Information..., it shows Available Products > ARCHICAD > Local (CodeMeter); MEP Modeler > Local (CodeMeter).

So when the MEP License gets activated, the Rotated geometry method stops working for MEP connected elements (via the Subtype used for the GDL object). I tested this by opening the WC 23, changing its Subtype from Flow Equipment to Model Element, saving it as a new library part and placing it. The object with the altered Subtype works correctly. I tested in AC22, same behavior.

So this looks like it is the license that causes the problem. If the original poster is using a trial license, maybe the same thing is going on. Users without a MEP License may never see this behavior.

Best,

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi David,

While waiting for the MEP license (unfortunately, I don't have one at home!), I found out that I don't need it to replicate this issue! Running MEP Modeller with ARCHICAD in DEMO mode can also stop the WC from rotating!

I will forward this to the developer for further investigation. Thank you for sharing the issue! As soon as we reach a conclusion I will let you know!

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Our developers have concluded that this is a bug with the MEP Modeler add-on. It's definitely a well-hidden one, as no one has ever spotted this issue yet! Big thanks to jkidd and David for sharing it and show us how to replicate the issue! I have entered the bug into our system. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon!

Once again, thank you very much for your help! Have a nice day, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Andy Melaragno
Booster
I am having this same problem in AC 24. I cannot use the "rotated geometry" method to insert any object that has to do with plumbing like a sink base or toilet / water closet. It works on all other objects, just not plumbing objects. Is there a fix for this?
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz