Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 10 is announced

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Talkers,

You can read Graphisoft's announcement on Archicad 10 here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/ac10/
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
164 REPLIES 164
TomWaltz
Participant
Aussie wrote:
Moving along - Based on seen screenshots am i correct that walls can now be shown on multiple stories?
Profiled & sloping walls can be shown "dashed above" the cutting plane, too.
Tom Waltz
DennisG
Participant
Moving further on, has the FAVORITES concept finally been left by the wayside, so that now Tools settings can change with layer combinations?

I'm no programmer - faaaar from it; so it seems to my ignorant brain that including tool settings with layer combinations would be so much simpler than having to set up, label and manage the Favorites thingy, which I have never grown accustomed to using.

In the Navigator, where Current Views can be saved and/or redefined, why can't "Current Tool Settings" simply be another item shown, in addition to Layer Combination, Scale, Display Options, Zoom setting, etc. in the Redefine Layer Combo window?

This would be a large frustration eliminator for me.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ArchiCAD-64 23 3003 USA FULL
x64 Clone PC w/Intel(R) Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
Aussie John
Newcomer
Petros wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Moving along - Based on seen screenshots am i correct that walls can now be shown on multiple stories?

yes, and that seems a pretty cool function which will solve many plan-presentation issues.

Petros
I have always used additional stories to show the RCP - now dont need to used work arounds that are difficult to explain to staff.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
The floor plan cut representation to me is the biggest and most important change to ArchiCad. I think it will pave the way for more enhancements in the future (which I won't speculate on). I've used 10 on several projects and it has made the design/ documentation much easier and more straight forward. The synchronization between an accurate model and a clear floor plan is much better now. For instance windows place above the cut plane do not appear on the plan - unless you want them to. Another example is angled braces supporting a roof overhang can now be shown from the cut down instead of trying to make them look right on the plan with lines .

Integrated plotmaker is very nice as well. Graphisoft still has its work cut out. But enhancements like these will effect your productivity right away.

Mark G
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
I agree. If you look at my first post in this topic (page 2) , I pasted a link to an older post of mine explaining (and whining ) about the this specific problem (floor plan cut) with a real life example.
It seems that with AC10 all these are history now!!

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Jefferson
Participant
Hey Marc G -

As a beta tester, can you elaborate here?
Graphisoft still has its work cut out.
I'd be very curious to hear more from the beta crew about adjustments to the workflow, integrated Plotmaker, proper control of the new wall representation beyond it's story floor, hell, anything you'd care to offer up!

Having skipped a version my work's cut out for me, but it looks like I'll definitely be "getting a raise" with this version. Every less work around is an improvement in my world. When they hit double digits I start really getting excited.

By the way, I was sort of entertained by the donnybrook! Just keep the blows above the belts gents!
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Djordje
Ace
Jefferson wrote:
I'd be very curious to hear more from the beta crew about adjustments to the workflow, integrated Plotmaker, proper control of the new wall representation beyond it's story floor, hell, anything you'd care to offer up!
Not until it is shipping ... except what is already announced.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm always glad to see a new version of Archicad and I look forward to learning more of this release. I appreciate the tremendous amount of work that must be involved to bring out a new version.

At first glance, however, my already present concerns seem to grow that Graphisoft is moving away from the practical needs of the small architects and designers out there doing mostly residential work.

For example, I see less expensive products like Vectorworks that seem to become more practical with each release.

One area that I, and I know others, have been looking for improvement is the ability to specify soffit and fascia details when a roof is constructed. This doesn't seem to be difficult to do and has been asked for since version 7 or earlier. I see that Vectorworks has this feature, and, while I've never used it, seems to add quite a bit of control that is lacking in the more expensive Archicad.

I also want to add my voice to those who have expressed concern that Archicad is moving away form the Mac look and feel with each release.
What makes Apple so successful is that they take something that can be complex and make it simple and elegant. This takes a lot of work.
What first attracted me to Archicad, way back in version 4.5 was that the interface was so much simpler than other CAD programs, but the capabilities were greater.

Please continue efforts to keep a clean, steamlined working environment as the complexity of Archicad grows.

Thanks
Rick Thompson
Expert
DennisG wrote:
Moving further on, has the FAVORITES concept finally been left by the wayside, so that now Tools settings can change with layer combinations?

Dennis
Sorry, I don't mean to violate any protocol, but I don't know exactly what has been announced, so backed by innocent ignorance and knowing I only intend to spread joy and future sells for GS and it's staff of elf's, Favorites has developed to a degree where I am most excited about it. It is much easier to organize now, and you can load it full of favorites without unnecessary crowding the list. It is tool specific. I think it has more potential for organizing a template without really having a template. Having tools linked to layer combination would be hard to follow, if I understand what you are saying. You might have several walls on the same layer, but each with a different tool setting, so I don't get the need to connect???

Maybe better to get use to Favorites, that is a very powerful tool to have if you take the time to set it up, and AC10 makes it much better, in actually a small way.. don't know why it took so long to figure out this simple change.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stephen wrote:
At first glance, however, my already present concerns seem to grow that Graphisoft is moving away from the practical needs of the small architects and designers out there doing mostly residential work. ...
Stephen,
Pardon my short rant but I just want to add emphasis to the point you made about Graphisoft "moving away from practical needs...residential work"

In my opinion Graphisoft has never really moved "towards" residential users. There exist so many gaps in the software to serve the residential market...Here are a few of the gaps...Proper wall, floor and roof framing tools, basic "useable!" BIM tools, more comprehensive library of common residential trim and components, etc. This list could go on and on...

There was a point, recently, when it seemed like Graphisoft was "moving towards" this market...Remember ArchiCAD Residential??? Maybe someone at Graphisoft can chime in to let us all know what their future commitment to residential users is and explain what happened in the recent FALSE start of ArchiCAD Residential.

I hate to even comment on the recent failure of ArchiCAD Residential, but I can see that there is very little development in ArchiCAD 10 related to residential needs.

Dan K